Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Strange film on water's surface

Babidi

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Recently, I've put in a new underwater filter for my Chinese firebelly newt, and since then, there's been a thin, whitish film on the surface of the water that sort of resembles heavily diluted oil. It doesn't really seem to be affecting my firebelly at all, but it still bothered me, and so I took the filter out of the water just slightly so that it could aerate and unsettle the gunk rather than just filter the water from below.

What could this film be, how did it get there, and what can I do to get rid of it if the aeration doesn't work?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The film is often a combination of proteins, dust settling on top of the water, and such. It's harmless, and (as you've found out), slight aeration will usually get rid of it.

Babidi

Reaction score
Oh, that's a relief. I did some water changes to try and filter it out and it just came back, so that's why I turned to the aeration. Either way, the little guy doesn't seem to mind. :)

Thanks!

lims

Reaction score
I've had this before, a good method for getting rid of it is to gently and carefully lay kitchen towels (strong absorbant tissue) on the water surface, but as soon as you see it soak up the water, whip it off again, this should remove the layer with a few goes.

TSN

Reaction score
I also noticed that putting some floating plants on water gets rid of oily water surface and it also looks nice and newts like them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1