Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

axolotls and tank mates???

lazymut

Reaction score
Hey, im fully aware that its a bad idea everything ive read has said no bad idea, but if you were to introduce any type of creature to an axolotl which would have the best chance of living in harmony with it?( i have no intentions of actually doing this my axies are fine on there own just curious!)

all replies appreciated!

RICH123

Reaction score
I dont think there is one to be honest, like you said its a bad idea.

digger

Reaction score
Other than axolotls, are nice boring freshwater clams, certain snails, oh yes and axolotls lol.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, freshwater clams are not a good idea. There are a couple of specific disasters involving clams in the Disasters page. One involving a mouth-sized snail too.

There was a guy on this forum who kept axies with goldfish for a while, but he got a lot of criticism for doing it. He had an enormous tank, which made it possible. The axies had plenty of hides. I wouldn't recommend this, but it's possible.

My axolotls have lived with white cloud minnows for the past several years. This works fine. They may eat some of the minnows, I don't know. They also have tons of small pond snails in there, but most people would consider these a pest not a tank-mate:tongue:

Saspotato

Reaction score
I keep my axolotl with guppies, but they tend to get eaten over time. One guppy lasted months and months and had two lots of babies so she has her own little tank now - I figured she'd earned it by winning 'Guppy Survivor' multiple times. :) To be honest, there isn't a lot you can keep in there that won't get eaten or try to nip your axolotl. Baby guppies and other small feeder fish are ok but they either grow too big and pose a danger to your axolotl or they stay small and get eaten.

digger

Reaction score
must admit i have always kept clams with my axies and the only thing is my axie trying to eat the clams foot.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1