Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Looking a bit down!

Guiness

Reaction score
Right then, Iv looked through some of the posts and what info people have asked for to provide some advice! Hopefully this is enough!

The axie's name is Guiness. I originally found him and an albino axie in a smashed tank in a skip!
I've previously kept fish and terapins so had spare tanks at home, having rescued both of them
I put them into a tank, but sadly the albino became very ill, and passed away! :(

But Guiness however survived, and has been most happy and sociable. He always comes to say hi if you go near him, and I feed him by hand. But he was starting to outgrow the tank. So I set up a new one.

The old tank was
Approx 10litres
Temp: 16
Ammo:0.01ppm
Nit:0ppm
PH: 6.2
Fitted with just an air hose (lots of water changes)

And he seemed perfectly happy in there. He had been in that tank for almost a year!

The new tank (been cycled for approx 8weeks with filter etc in place, and i mixed some of his old water in with it)
Approx 60litres
Temp:16
Ammo: 0ppm
Nit: 0ppm
PH: 7.1
Fitted with a filter with spray bar and air hose

Pic of new tank:

(new tank.jpg)

Iv put him in there today an to begin with he seemed quite happy, he's still eating fine and wandering about. But his gill's seem slightly curled and the tip of his tail has gone white, meaning he's stressed???

Anyone know if he's ok? Is it just that moving him from one to another was a new experience for him?

And even with a spray bar there seems to be some water movement, any ideas what else I can do for him?

Any ideas are much appreciated!!!!

digger

Reaction score
Hi,
firstly it might just be the move, has he plenty of places to hide, like hidey holes or plants.
There really is no need for an air hose, if you have a filter and plants your axie will have plenty of oxygen.
You say your tank has been cycling for 8 weeks but has it actually cycled this can take upto 3 months and needs waste to produce the right bacteria.
The parameters of a cycled tank are:-
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 20-60.
ph is normally only an issue if it is excessively high in combination with high ammonia or nitrites.
I would also try to deflect the water against the sides of the tank and/or try to break the flow with plants.
As long as your water is ok, he has somewhere to hide and you minimise the water flow he should be ok.
I would just give him a couple of days to settle down, one of the best things i have found when changing their enviroment is to drop in a nice earth worm or live blood worm and cover the tank with a dark cloth, this normally helps mine settle quicker.

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Guiness,

It doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about. The slightly curled gills sound, as you suggest, like a small amount of stress from moving. I would imagine in a day or two he will be happily exploring his new environment.

Best of luck

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1