Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

VT Press: Saving Salamanders

wes_von_papineäu

Our Roving Correspondent
Reaction score
WCAX (Burlington, Vermont) 24 April 08 Saving Salamanders (Darren Perron)
Shelburne, Vermont: Some Vermonters are tired of seeing salamanders turned into roadkill. So, they're trying to save them before they're run-over by cars.
There are a few areas being watched-- like Pond Road in Shelburne.
But the area of most concern is the Monkton-Vergennes road in Monkton near Huizenga Swamp.
Each spring, salamanders leave their winter grounds to find wetlands in which to spawn. The trouble is-- they have to cross the roads to get to their spawning areas. The Monkton spawning site is known for its diverse number of species, and thousands of amphibians are killed as traffic there increases.
Some concerned residents are on hand during migration to give the salamanders a hand.
"The salamanders are trying to cross and they don't move very quickly, so we have been helping them get across the road. Right? So the cars don't hit them," said Scott Schwenk, who is trying to save salamanders.
"For thousands of years these frogs and salamanders have made this pilgrimage, so anything we can do to help them cross to safety is great and it's a chance to know our non-human neighbors a bit better and celebrate a big event that signifies the coming of spring," explained Shelburne Farms Naturalist Matt Kolan.
The Monkton Conservation Commission received a federal grant to begin permitting and planning for an amphibian crossing in Monkton. It's likely that dry culverts and retaining walls will be built to help the critters cross the road if more federal money comes through.
http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=8223074&nav=4QcSWyMg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1