Temp tank for new axies

xandert

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Dawn T
Well, I'm still waiting to hear for certain when my new axies will arrive. In the meantime, I got a 10g set up and cycling to get ready for them. This is intended to be only a temporary tank until they get a little bigger, then they'll move up to a larger tank with deeper water.

I was told the axies will be probably 1.5-2" upon arrival, so I'm keeping the water level low for now. I'm using a simple box filter with the smallest airpump running that I could find. I'm not seeing any water currents that are more than very minor, particularly at the far end of the tank. Rocks and a piece of artificial driftwood for cover, plus two Japanese rush and a twisted bamboo for plantings, both of which are both immersed and above the water line. (Live plants.) I'm leaving the top open to insure the tank doesn't get hot with our climate being warm here in AZ. And I can set up a fan to blow directly over the water surface if need be for further cooling.

I left the bottom bare for now, as I wasn't sure how big axies should be before I give them substrate. I intend to use play sand for my permanent axo tank.

At what size would they be okay to use sand AND be moved into their permanent tank with a more normal water level? I want to make sure I've got that arrangement all set up, cycled and ready for them before the time comes to move them out of their temporary baby tank.

BTW, I realized when I shot this, I REALLY need to clean that front glass! :grin:

Dawn T

Attachments

• IMG_5008-ds2.jpg
    IMG_5008-ds2.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 177
getting there

hey x just seen your threed and pic looking good. i would think about putting in some sand or larger river stones as flooring but at what age im not sure. also try to make a hidding spot for them (eg) a little cave or rock overhang somewere for them to get out of the light as they dont like bright light all that often. apart from that cant wait to see the little guys :) gl

Actually the picture doesn't show it very well, but the rocks and fake driftwood DO form little caves and cubbies for them to hide in. So I'm not overly concerned about that. :happy: They'll need larger caves and cubbies as they grow, but I think what I've got in there will work for now.

And I still need to know if sand is safe for these guys when they're only about 1.5-2" in length. I'd love to go ahead and put some sand in, but I don't want to put it in and it be just big enough to cause problems for such little guys.

Dawn T

Sand will be fine as long as it is well washed before hand.

Okay. Just thought I'd double check. Don't want those little digestive tracts getting blocked. ;)

Thanks! :happy:

Dawn T

I wouldn't use any sort of substrate until they're 4-5 inches long. It's easier to feed and monitor them without substrate.

That makes sense. Definitely want to be able to monitor their food intake, especially in their first few days/weeks with me. Make sure they are adjusting well and they are happy. Thanks, Kaysie. :happy:

Dawn T

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back