Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

GBR Press: Pet Found Alive After 10 Months Under Floorboards

wes_von_papineäu

Our Roving Correspondent
Reaction score
LINCOLNSHIRE ECHO (Lincoln, UK) 28 April 08 Pet Found Alive After 10 Months Under Floorboards
A family pet given up for dead has been discovered 10 months later living under the floorboards.
Dottle the newt went missing in June last year when she escaped from her box and there had been no trace of her since.
But the plucky amphibian had somehow scurried her way from an upstairs bedroom to the dark, dank environment under the house.
The newt is thought to have survived by shutting down its systems and going into hibernation at the house in Brancaster Drive, Boultham, Lincoln.
But for Helen (42) and David Warhurst (52), the return of Dottle put them in a spot of bother - as they had already replaced the creature without telling daughter Eleanor (nine).
Mr Warhurst, who found Dottle when pulling up floorboards while doing some DIY, said he was amazed the newt was still alive.
"I looked down and saw something but I thought it was a spider," he said.
When the Chinese fire-bellied newt went missing last June, David, Helen and son Greg (12) decided it was best to keep Eleanor in the dark about Dottle and found an immediate replacement - another newt called Dottle which since been re-named Schnikle.
But now the original Dottle is safely back in her box, the adventurous amphibian is able to spend time lounging on rocks with her replacement, alongside old friend Murtle.
Everyone in the family is still baffled about how and when the newt made its way under the floorboards.
http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk...me=yes&more_nodeId1=156139&contentPK=20488551

gr33neyes

Reaction score
I suppose it must have lived off dead/alive bugs it found under the floor. Just goes to show how resilient these little creatures can be and how well they can adapt.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1