Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

FBN, mollie, crayfish, tadpole set-up

shanerules

Reaction score
Yesterday i decided to set up my Fire Bellied Newt a full aquatic enclosure. this is the same newt who wasnt eating (he is fine now:eek:). Anyway I would like to post some pics of it but... I dont know how. please help

-shane

Whoo

Field Herper
Reaction score
Get a digital camera and take some pictures, and also It's a bad idea to mix crayfish with tadpoles, very bad.

Abrahm

Reaction score
this is the same newt who wasnt eating (he is fine now:eek:).

This is not a very good combination. Crayfish are quite adept predators and will more than likely kill your newt, tadpole and fish if it is given enough time. There are also some temperature problems with the molly and the newt. Mollies prefer temperatures that are nearer to 80F for good health while newts should be kept below 70F. This will be an especially large problem if your newt just started eating again. The less stress you can subject him to, the better. Other animals and temperatures that are too high will likely lead to him not eating again.

I would advise you to have two or more tanks to house the species you listed in your title.

shanerules

Reaction score
well all the crayfish died off. they were food for my african clawed frog, and the newt. let me remind you theese are itty bitty! the tads are out as i found my newt eating them! and the molly has his own tank. now would someone PLEASE just tell me how to put pics on here?

chris_dishmon

Reaction score
i know this article was old but now that i think about it.....it was probably "ghost shrimp" that he was refering to.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1