Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

so i got sand but is it to fine

bottbeck

Reaction score
the only place i could go to get sand in our area was a sand / gravel pace that sell to trades people

they had riversand / another type of real gravely sand / and this fine sand that was the closest to play sand they had (its normaly sold to concreaters ect) but im concerned that it may be to fine?

is there such a thing as to fine a grain of sand to put in your tank? should i have gone the riversand

just dont want my little guy sinking like its quick sand lol or worried it want settel in the tank and be bad for her

srry for so many posts guys but i am new and want to do the right thing buy our pet :)

bottbeck

Reaction score
thats it iv had a gut full of mucking around with sand / gravel im going to replace the lot with large river rocks that are about half the size of her. looks easy enough to clean she can't eat them and easyer to remove and replace if this is no good let me know other wise il stop hasaling everyone and post a pic of the tank when im done

Saspotato

Reaction score
Hey,

just to let you know, I used the type of sand you are talking about - got it from a hardware store - and have had no issues.

However, if you want to use river stones, go for it. Just make sure when you are cleaning the tank to look underneath them and make sure no food/waste gets trapped under there.

Good luck with your new setup!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1