Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Can anyone help me?

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're not alone! I've had hitch-hikers on my pond weed too; see this thread: http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53513

I think yours and mine are common newts - Lissotriton (former Triturus) vulgaris or helveticus. The length of the forearms looks too short to be a large bodied crested newt species.

The only sure fire way to know is to raise them until metamorphosis. They eat small aquatic invertebrates so you'll need access to a pond and a fine mesh net.

buginson

Reaction score
Thanks for that. Mmm not sure who if anyone has a pond that I know of in work, will ask about though.

Realised that the, what I thought was flukes are prob flat worms of some sort. Black and about 3mm to 10mm in length. Will they eat these? (although they are nearly as big as the newts!)
My tank is 40cm by 25cm by 25cm. There are also many water lice and I've seen one young water boatman. Could the boatman be a risk as they are carnivorous aren't they?

Also I'm wondering on the laws regarding having the newts, do I need to declare that I have them or should I just look after them?

Thanks.

buginson

Reaction score
Yeah just found out that the flat worms are most likely the planarian, Dugesia lugubris or something like it.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Realised that the, what I thought was flukes are prob flat worms of some sort. Black and about 3mm to 10mm in length. Will they eat these? (although they are nearly as big as the newts!)
Probably not; I have large newt larvae that tackle them occasionally but more often than not they get spat out. Ideally they need to feed on invertebrates that are smaller than the distance between their eyes. They must be feeding on something to have grown to the size they are.

There are also many water lice and I've seen one young water boatman. Could the boatman be a risk as they are carnivorous aren't they?
Yes, if it's large enough it may attack newt larvae.

Also I'm wondering on the laws regarding having the newts, do I need to declare that I have them or should I just look after them?
The only protected UK species is Triturus cristatus. Law prohibits their collection or habitat disturbance - you have done neither so I'm not sure where the law stands. I don't think they're cristatus personally but may be wrong.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1