Do they make noise, etc

Stickylou

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Hi,

I've read the whole FAQ which was very very interresting! But I still a have a few small questions which weren't in the FAQ.

Do these creatures make a noise, like a dog barks and birds tsjirp for example?
And how do they react to noise in there surroundings?

My newts (T. marmoratus and C. orientalis) are currently in the living room where allot of stuff happens and noise is made. For example music, gaming noise, guitar playing, eating :p (not that we eat very loud :D) and allot of other stuff. Could this be a problem for my newts? (stresslevel?)

I was just wondering.
I hope I posted it in the right section.

Cheers & peace

Bert

Very few salamanders have the capability to make audible noise, and even then its not made the same way as other animals because they have no sound production devices. As for their location...I would say wait and see. They could become stressed out, or they could get used to the activity in the room and be just fine. If they begin to show signs of stress (restlessness, not eating, etc) then I would suggest moving them.

Alex

Yes thank you.
I think moving them out to a better place would be the logical explanation. The thing is where would that be. They aren't in a very noisy room because everybody is out during the day, working and studying.
I'll see how they react to the environment and decide when things look bad or good.

Just an other question:
I've red allot about the feeding and eventually the taken away of the not eaten food or dead food. But what's the best technique to remove those small red worms? There al over the place in the water.

Thanks again

Bert

2 things

one ive kept various different animals including salamanders and newts in my room for years ive been playing music alot ect and they re always been okay with sound maybe if theres something like drilling being done it would be best to temporarily move them (something real loud)

and 2 with frozen bloodworms if they haven't scattered all over the place you can usually just scoop them up with a net.

hope i helped!!

You can also use a turkey/food baster to help you remove uneaten food and other tank debris.

@lazymut: Yes you helped. It's good to know that it probably won't be a problem with to much noise. I think there just a bit stressed out about the fact that it's a bit new here for them.
About the bloodworms a i'll keep it in mind and i'm going to get a fishnet.
;)

@jewett: the turkey/food baster looks like a good idea along with a fishnet. But where to get me such a thing. Maybe i can get something similar from the hospital for instance. Like a big fat needle :rolleyes:

Thanks guys for the help.

Cheers,
Bert

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back