Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello/Hola/Konnichiwa

Jaxie11

Reaction score
Hello! I'm new to the Axolotl world and intend to purchase some as pets this summer. This account is shared between my boyfriend and I since we will be housing the (hopefully two) Axolotls we acquire this summer together.

From the US, we both speak English and a good bit of Spanish if need be. I'm also an intermediate to advanced level Japanese student so feel free to drop me a note!

Any suggestions on what age of Axie to get for two beginners is appreciated. We're thinking of getting a golden and melanoid pair to start off with though preferably of the same sex since we're not up to breeding anytime soon.

Anyways, hello Caudata!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Guys! Welcome to the board! Have you checked out www.axolotl.org yet? That's a good place to start.

Any age is good, although beginners should aim for something at least a couple of inches long. And good on you for not wanting to jump right into breeding! So many beginners try to dive right into breeding without even knowing the basics of care.

bottbeck

Reaction score
hi guys and welcome to axie's

me and my wife are new to them two. But u have come to the right place the people here are briliant they have alot of knowalge and always help they have helped us change our setup a heap i thing i can safley say

DO NOT LISTEN TO YOUR PET STORE FOR AXOLOTL ADVICE!!!
always come here the pet shop we yoused gave us the wrong gravel and care advice but luckely these guys gave us the right advice so listen to them

apart from that good luck hope to see ya again

Jaxie11

Reaction score
Well, we haven't found a pet store anywhere nearby that carries Axolotls so no worries there. Since it's somewhat of an enthusiast's pet we figured a forum like this would be the best place to get started and find advice.

I originally found the site through www.axolotl.org when I was looking up more information on Axies. I read through the entire site and encouraged my boyfriend to do so as well so we know what we're getting ourselves into as far as care goes.

Since we're both college students, breeding is not a great idea and we're also not competent Axie caregivers yet as it were so no worries there!

We'll take all of your advice and look in to getting some inch+ juveniles. Thank you for the warm welcome!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Don't hesitate to ask any questions, no matter how silly you may think they are. That's what we're here for.

krk11

Reaction score
Since you can't find a pet store that carries axolotls, when you're ready take a look at the for sale part of this forum. If you're patient you can find what you're looking for. Good luck and welcome.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1