Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

looking to start a second reptile show in Washington State

natimus

Reaction score
Hey all,

I may be wasting my time, and I may be completely bananas!!!
but I am sick and tired of only having one reptile show we can go to and we have to wait until fall!!
it makes no sense, everyone has usually sold their good stuff by then anyway.

Anywho....if anyone is interested or wants to get on the "wagon" I am usually pretty good at organizing things in general and I'm sure I could use the help. I am in talks with the Evergreen fairgrounds ( in Monroe ) right now and they have lots open until August, which is too hot anyway.
It looks like booths would be fairly cheap, they have fresh de-chlorinated water spigots in about 16 places in this particular building ( typically used for Poultry shows etc.), and power slots for everyone. There is a small airport 300 yards away for "puddle-jumpers" and it is about 15 minutes east of Everett which has a nice big Boeing airport if you want to come in that way....

I have room on my domain for more websites and if I can get a few people on board I will devote a website to this show. I would like to keep it as simple as possible, so any feedback will help. I'm not looking to get rich here, I just want options for Washington residents and people willing to drive from OR. and ID.

Feel free to email with questions or ideas and feel free to acknowledge that I may be a bit naive in this process.

p.s. this info is also pasted on www.talktothefrog.org

This is a bit premature as I don't have any dates proposed as of yet, and have only toured the facility once, there is still a lot more work to be done. I also don't presume to know what i'm doing.

I am shooting for a Friday thru Sunday deal, not sure if maybe we should start on Saturday? or do one day only? So many ideas here....

Last edited by a moderator:

t_summ

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I only wish we could plan it closer to Northern CA. The one show we have here in Sacramento is not only lacking in the amphibian department, it is also in september and there are few "quality" animals left to show. The only good thing is the price of supplies!

natimus

Reaction score
Really? You'd think Sac town would have quite a few, well if I can get some positive responses on this idea, maybe we can do a west coast tour....

To reiterate what you said ;The idea is an annual or even a bi-annual reptile show/convention etc.
pretty much the best way for any of us to get our animals is at one of these events, the pricing is great, you can see and feel ( mostly) what you want to buy and there is no shipping involved for the end user....

as most captive breeders know, spring is the season for the new offspring, and about summer time they are ready for sale, but difficult to ship :bowl:....so you see the predicament.

p.s. I don't intend to take from anyones rice bowl, and I don't intend to do this myself.

N

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1