Curious to know...

jessicarabbit

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I heard a story the other day about a friend of my mum's axies and was curious to know why this happened...
He had two axies and they were getting along fine for about a year when they started 'attacking' each other. They both lost their tails and passed away. What could have caused them to start biting each other after a year of getting along?

Food, stress, light. Any number of things can cause 'fight' reactions, but it's especially usual during feeding.

Hi kaysie
The first thing I thought of was too small a tank for them both.

Perhaps they weren't being fed enough for their size. I have noticed if I don't feed mine every day they will take chunks out of each other.

How big was the tank? I have 4 adults is a 50 gallon that is 48 inches long and 12 inches wide and wonder if it's to small. I always think my animal enclosures are to small. I also only feed my twice a week. As I've been told they look well fed. But they are getting along pretty well as they've been pumping out eggs continuosly for the last two months.

Thanks

Ron

How big was the tank? I have 4 adults is a 50 gallon that is 48 inches long and 12 inches wide and wonder if it's to small. I always think my animal enclosures are to small. I also only feed my twice a week. As I've been told they look well fed. But they are getting along pretty well as they've been pumping out eggs continuosly for the last two months.

Hi Ron, I have four "small" adult Axolotls in a 4ft tank; fed 2-3 times a week.
If they are looking well fed, no signs of stress or nipped tails - I wouldn't worry about it mate. ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back