Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Not Eating.

chantiandeanie

Reaction score
I got my first axolotl a 6 days ago and he is yet to eat.

I have tried feeding it both meal worms and beef heart via the following methods; holding the food infront of him so it can see, wiggling it in front of him, placing the food in front of him, dropping it in front of him, dropping it in the tank for him to find later. The closest he's come is two or three snaps at meal worms but he doesn't get very close to actually catching them and usually shyes away from them after the first snap. I don't know what to do, I don't want him to die:( for the last day all he's done is hide under a log and I think he might be getting ill/stressed.

philbaker76

Reaction score
Do you have any info on your set-up, water conditions, temperature etc? What size is he - compared to the food?

Try some live bloodworm in the meantime mate.

chantiandeanie

Reaction score
He's 17-18cm long, his head is around 4 cm long the worms probably 3cm, the beef heart smaller, he's in a 60L tank, the temp is I think around 20-22 degrees celcius but my thermometer i think may be inacurate. The tank is cycled, I've measured the ph twice today one was 7.2 one was 7.

chantiandeanie

Reaction score
OK thanks, I will try him on earth worms, also I'm aware that cycling has little to do with ph but I thought I'd give all the information i could of the top of my head, thanks anyway though, I can see how you could of read it that way. I will also take measures to try cool down the water a little.

chantiandeanie

Reaction score
I'm happy to report that having lowered the temp by 4 degrees Adam consumed his first portion of beef heart last night:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!