Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Need answers

Gefforytigersal

Reaction score
I'm new to this site but, i hope i can get some answers to some questions I have
#1) how do you tell male and female tigers apart?:confused:
#2) should i put a small adult (tiny)with a much larger one(Geffory)?:confused:
#3) should i feed my large tiger named Geffory pinkie mice?:confused:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Male tigers generally have a larger cloaca, while females are generally fatter. This is hard to tell outside of breeding season.

No, a much bigger one will eat a smaller one.

Pinky mice are a fine TREAT. They are NOT appropriate for daily feeding. Once every few weeks is fine.

Gefforytigersal

Reaction score
Thank You for those answers, I have a few other questions.
#1) is it okay to put spagnum moss in their ( the sals) enclosures?:confused:
#2) how big will a tiger actualy get?:confused:
#3) is a reptile rock a good water bowl?:confused:
#4) where on a salamander is the cloaca?

Last edited:

Nathan050793

Reaction score
I would suggest you do not use sphagnum moss, it has a high Ph and is potentially harmful to the salamanders. Cocofiber mixed with soil is a much better and widely used substrate.

Adult Tigers tend to average around 7-10 inches however, the biggest ones can push 13 inches.

I would say that a reptile rock would work fine, I use something similar for my spotted salamander.

The cloaca is a small bump located near the base of the tail, it looks sort of like a small protrusion. It serves as the entrance/exit for waste and for reproductive purposes.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Sphagnum moss has a LOW pH (it's acidic), and can cause the leaching of ions. It's not recommended. Like Nathan suggested, go with coco fiber and organic top soil.

Gefforytigersal

Reaction score
My largest tiger ,Geffory seems to be doing okay with the spagmnum moss. i use regular tap water so maybe that makes up for the low PH in the moss?? so what you guys are saying is that the one with a more pronounced cloaca is the male??

Last edited:

Nathan050793

Reaction score
My largest tiger ,Geffory seems to be doing okay with the spagmnum moss. i use regular tap water so maybe that makes up for the low PH in the moss?? so what you guys are saying is that the one with a more pronounced cloaca is the male??

That is something I encountered also with my Spotted salamander, however, I still suggest you refrain from using sphagnum moss and switch to cocofiber/organic top soil.

Yes, I believe that the more pronounced cloaca would mean that it is male.

(about saying high ph, sorry, I always get that confused!:eek:)

Gefforytigersal

Reaction score
thats ok nathan we all get confused sometime . so Geffory may actualy be a girl an tiny is a Guy??

Jake

Reaction score

Sure, Geoffory SEEMS to be doing ok with the sphagnum, but that doesn't mean everything is good with him/her. It might also seem to be doing ok after eating a bunch of pea gravel, but just because they have a smile on their face doesn't mean they're happy. Topsoil is definitely the better route, or even damp paper towels with cork bark to hide under.

LauraMartin

Reaction score
also regular tap water shouldnt be used, as the chlorine may harm them. Hopefully the more experienced like kaysie and nathan can confrim this??

i use only bottled water, but u can get a powder that takes out the chlorine from tap water.

oregon newt

Reaction score
Actually, you don't even need bottled water. All you have to do is treat your tap w/ a conditioner that removes chlorine and chloramine.

Nathan050793

Reaction score
In regard to both comments above, if I am not mistaken, I have heard that bottled water isn't very safe to use either. Personally, I would always stick to aged dechlorinated water.

oregon newt

Reaction score
Wait, do you mean aging your water after using or without using conditioner? If the first, that's what I meant. If the second, then that's not an effective way of getting rid of chlorine and chloramine.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Chlorine dissipates pretty readily from water, even more so if its agitated (with a bubbler). However, many water treatment facilities use chloramines, which are a combination of chlorine and ammonia, which do not dissipate, and must be removed (the chlorine-amine bond is broken) by a water conditioner (or dechlorinator). This allows the chlorine to then dissipate, while leaving behind ammonia (which is usually minimal and readily converted with the biological cycling bacteria).

If you use bottled water, be sure to know the source. Many bottled water companies use municipal water supplies (tap water), and may still contain chlorine or chloramines. If you have well water or use rain water, there is no need for a water conditioner.

Gefforytigersal

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the info. like nathan said earlier i may need to rename Geffory any suggestions would be nice

Gefforytigersal

Reaction score
here are some pics of Geffory and Tiny
moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg

Gefforytigersal

Reaction score
the first one is Tiny!!! the second one is Geffory!!! you can tell from those pictures that Tiny is a male???

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!