Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New axies

xandert

Reaction score
My very first axies arrive tomorrow! Supposed to be one melanoid and one leucistic. Woohoo!!!!

IAMSTEVE

Reaction score
I've Never Actually Kept These But Find Them Rather Interesting. Axolotls Are Something I admire And will More than Likely Never Keep, But It Appears You Will!

Congradulations!

~Steve

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi (again) Dawn!

Today's the big day, isn't it? How'd it go?

-Eva

xandert

Reaction score
They're here! My friend who coordinated the order found a problem though. She couldn't tell the difference between the melanoid and wild strains due to how faded they were from shipping stress. :wacko: I'm thinking this one I got from her may be wild rather than melanoid, but I'm not sure.

I've attached initial photos. Two of them I took while they were floating in the tank in their shipping bags. I'm still trying to get a decent shot of the leucistic since I released them.

I have NO idea of sexes on these two characters yet. They're about 2.75" long at this point, so bigger than I expected. Not that I'm complaining! I'm glad they're bigger! Easier for me to feed. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_5013-ltcr-web.jpg
    IMG_5013-ltcr-web.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_5015-ltcr-web.jpg
    IMG_5015-ltcr-web.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_5018-ltcr-web.jpg
    IMG_5018-ltcr-web.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 117

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Aww they are so sweet! Have you got names ready for them?

I think the dark one is wild colored too because of the yellow (s)he sports..? It's after midnight here so I won't go read the Genetics page to back up my opinion. I just know that mine have no yellow on them anywhere; Lotte is actually black (and beautiful).

But new babies, how exciting! I wish the three of you lots of fun together!

bottbeck

Reaction score
Gratz x they look good enough to eat (joke joke) hope they bring u lots of happiness i know we love ours

xandert

Reaction score
I haven't decided on names yet. I'm hoping I can figure out pretty quickly what sex they are, and then I'll come up with names. Unless I get inspired for unisex names like I did with the sun conure that joined the family recently (baby, so sex unknown there, too). I'll get inspired, I'm sure. :cool:

xandert

Reaction score
I think the dark one is wild colored too because of the yellow (s)he sports..?

That's what I wondered about. I don't recall the melanoids having the yellow spotty look to them. I thought that was the wild strain. :confused: Either way, I'm happy with them. :happy:

xandert

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! :love:

BTW, these guys are eating today, which I assume is a very good sign. ;) The breeder sent pellet food with them, but I also bought some extra stuff at the pet store today from their freezer.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1