White Spots on Young Golden Albino

stankford

Reaction score
Country
United States
Reptar is only a couple months old and was recently moved to a larger tank. In the several days since he has been in his new home, he has undergone a considerable growth spurt and I've noticed the presence of white spots all over his body and white coloration on the front of his gills. Is this typical color patterns for a young golden axie or is it cause for concern??

The water is treated for chlorine, nitrate and ammonia and is kept at 19 degrees. The filter is at its lowest setting, but I noticed that Reptar sometimes has his gills curled forward, as if he were stressed. The tank was only cycled for about 2 weeks, but Reptar is still pretty tiny and doesn't make much of a mess...

I'm having trouble attaching these pictures so I will just post the url if you care to take a look:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v256/pique/sickaxie1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v256/pique/sickaxie2.jpg

I am by no means an expert but to me it looks like regular markings for a golden albino.

Hi, his markings look perfectly normal to me, try not to worry.

Sometimes they can curve their gills forward for no particular reason, if however they are permanently forward then he is getting stressed by something.

2 weeks is pretty quick to cycle a tank no matter how big he is, are you doing regular water changes? until the tank is fully cycled you will need to do water changes more often.

You say it's treated for ammonia, chlorine etc. do you mean chemically treated? what exactly are your water parameters. it's better to do regular water changes to keep levels in check rather than treating it with chemicals.

Hope all works out for you and good luck, he looks really gorgeous.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back