Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Considering an Axolotl

laceface

Reaction score
My boyfriend and I are considering an axolotl as a new addition to our odd pets. We are looking for something that can be kept without extra light and heat, something that is relatively easy to care for. From what we have read, these might be right for us, but we have a few questions. We have a ten gallon tank, but need to know what adjustments we need to make to the tank to make it a proper axolotl home. I have read that gravel is not a safe substrate, but not what IS safe, so what is safe?
What do you advise as filtration (is it necessary)?
How many are happily and healthily maintained in a ten gallon?
What is the best source of food for them? Do they need just live prey, or a mix of live and some sort of packaged food, and if packaged what is a good source for this?
Is there anything else we need to know, to keep them safe and happy?
Thanks in advance!

Saspotato

Reaction score
To answer your questions:

-Safe substrates include sand or a bare tank floor. You can also use large stones (but must be much larger than your axolotl's mouth) but they often cause water quality problems if you don't clean under them very thoroughly

-Filtration is not necessary but highly recommended. If you don't have filtration I would recommend 20% water changes daily, if you do have filtration you would do 20% once a week once your tank is cycled. You want a filter that does not create a lot of water flow as this stresses out axolotls. You can use a spray bar if flow is a problem.

-10 gallon tank would house 1 adult axolotl only.

-You can use earth worms, blood worms, crickets, snails, brine shrimp, salmon pellets and many more. Some people use beef heart but I think you should only use as a treat because it is too fatty. I use frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp, salmon pellets and live guppies. I recommend you wait before introducing feederfish as live fish are a whole other can of worms! Perhaps do some searches on 'feeder fish'.

You can find out heaps of other information looking at axolotl.org or searching the forums here. There are also fact sheets here: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/articles.shtml

I think you should make sure your tank is cycled (Read the article on it on the link above) and that you can keep the temperature under 20C ideally and never over 24C as they seem to be the big issues with new axolotl owners.

Anyway, axolotls make great pets and once the tank is cycled they are easy to maintain so I recommend them highly :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1