Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

3 of my small salamanders escaped please help!

WVCouple

Reaction score
My husband and I captured 4 small southern 2 lined salamanders at the creek yesterday. We were planning on keeping them for a few days so my 3 yr old could watch them, and then return them back to the creek.

Well this morning 3 of them escaped. We looked everywhere for them and can't find them. I know nothing about them such as where they would hide if they got loose. Can someone give me advice? I want to find them before they die!

Abrahm

Reaction score
Finding lost salamanders can be quite difficult and time is of the essence in a home where they are prone to dessication. Lids are extremely important for all amphibians!

The best places to look are along the walls. Follow the walls everywhere and look under everything you can. Piles of laundry, dressers, and rubbermaid tubs are good hiding spots and these could be in closets, or anywhere else. The key is to look everywhere.

WVCouple

Reaction score
It's strange because I had a lid on the container, it was a pet container I got at Walmart with tiny slits for air. I could only guess 3 of them were able to fit thru the 2 small holes at the top.

I will look again, they were on the countertop right by the sink, I wonder if they crawled down the drain in which case I killed them! My husband and I feel so bad that they may be dead, we were trying to be responsible and intended on releasing them back into the wild. I'll let you know if I find them, thank you!

T

tylototriton

Unfortunately, they cannot survive very long. I would check any dark, possibly damp places, near where the cage was. As much as it pains me to say this, chances are slim that they will survive. Having lost my fair share of animals I know how hard it can be. Keep looking.

Best of Luck
Alex

B

bcs

I once had a long-toed salamander escape and I found it 3 weeks later perfectly healthy

smoothoperator

Reaction score
My brother recently got a new (our 2nd) mandarin crocodile newt, and before we knew it, it had escaped from it's box and slid through the shower pipe hole thing... we couldn't get it out for a while and then next thing you know...it walked away and disappeared from our lives forever!!! :sad: Such a sad day...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1