Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Dud eggs and leaving them in the tank

t_summ

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I have a pair of year old Dobro's and they started to mate and lay eggs weeks ago. All of the eggs were dud's (not surprising given their age), but the the female layed all over my plants. Can I keep the plants with the eggs in the tank and allow them to decompose naturally? I've never encountered this before so i'm not sure if leaving them in there will have adverse health effects. Please advise.

Thanks guys and gals!

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Though I have no experience with Dobro's, my one year old Maa's laid eggs and just about all of them are duds and have turned fuzzy. I have not taken the time to remove the dead eggs from the masses of java moss but have not had any problems with my water quality. I still do my weekly ~15% water change and parameters are fine. I hope our newts have better luck with healthy eggs next year!

t_summ

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Cool. Thanks Heather! That's what I was thinking but I wanted some real-world experience to chime in first.

onetwentysix

Reaction score
I've got siblings of your dobrogs that were throwing bad eggs, and I just left them in with no problems. They should hopefully eat some of them as well. The only issue is that it makes it harder to find good eggs if they do start laying properly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!