Newts being kept with small coldwater fish?

TemporaryLuxury

Reaction score
Country
United States
My terichasomething newt, can't remember which type but if it's relevant I'll check again, is currently in a 10 gal tank, with some land, and fake plants. There's a fair amount of water in there. Can some white clouds or any other small fish be kept in there or will they simply become a snack?

If the newt can catch it, it'll become food. I myself have had 1 whitecloud minnow in with my Taricha granulosas for the last few years now; I started out with 7...

If all you have it in is a 10 gal I wouldn't put any thing els with it .

Chances are the fish would become a snack. It is also important to consider the impact fish would have on the water. Since you have an aquaterrarium setup there is already less water and the added fish would only serve to dirty the water quicker, making upkeep ultimately harder. If you added a filter or something of the sort (live plants can help too) then maybe it would work, but chances are good they would be eaten, especially by a Taricha.

Alex

None of my newts or axolotls do a very good job of eating white cloud minnows - the fish are just too fast for them. With a 10-gallon tank, you are very near the "carrying capacity" of the tank. For that reason, I would recommend not getting white clouds unless you upgrade to a larger tank. And I would recommend against other kinds of fish under any circumstances.

None of my newts or axolotls do a very good job of eating white cloud minnows - the fish are just too fast for them.

I'll second that. Even at the lower end of minnows temperature tolerances they're too quick for any newt I've kept them with to catch. You would need to monitor bio-load carefully, and in a confined space they may stress your newt.
Also, minnows are swarm fish which display shoaling behaviour your tank is probably too small to accomodate even a small group.

Thats not to say it cant be done, and it is a workable combination, but you must be able to cater for the needs of both species.

Hello,
I have a question on a similiar note. I am about to upgrade my 4 CFB newts to a 20 gallon high tank which I fashioned a land area out of Great Stuff. Overall, I would say I have about 15 gallons of water to work with. I have 3 white cloud minnows in a separate setup, and wanted to keep both species together in the new tank. Will my setup accomodate 4 CFB newts and 3 fish? Could I add more fish? More newts? Thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back