Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

hello, all you brits.

pimpmastersmak

Reaction score
I doubt that you would know, but in American what should I do to get An Axolotl? I will appreciate any help i can get. p.s. i hope my grammar is good enough for you . peace

gr33neyes

Reaction score
In America or in fact anywhere, if I wanted to get an axolotl I would do as I would do with any pet I wanted to buy. I would do my research http://www.axolotl.org/
then I would find somewhere that sells/breeds them . Try looking in the for sale section of this forum, you may find what you're looking for there.
Try your local pet store, try your nearest zoo, they may have contacts for you.
Your grammar was fine :)

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Drew you mentioned in an earlier post that the University has them but kills them when they are finished with them.

You could try approaching the department that has them and ask if you could have one prior to the cull. Or there may be a reason for the cull. Perhaps they are illegal to keep in Illinois except for research.

Or as Becky suggests have a look at the for sale section of this site. Also would it not be more help to ask the other Americans on this site. I agree with you when you say "hello, all you brits.I doubt that you would know".

Good Luck

Last edited:

pimpmastersmak

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone, but the only thing I haven't tried was talking to the lab workers. I was wondering if anyone knows how to get a indangered species permit and or import, export permit. Cause it looks like my only option is to import or get lucky. If anyone hears anything about some here in the states let me know.
peace.

t_summ

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Cause it looks like my only option is to import or get lucky. If anyone hears anything about some here in the states let me know.
peace.

Import Axolotls? No need to do that. There are a large number of people on this forum who keep and breed axolotls and typically post them in the "For Sale" section. There is no need for you to go through the work to import them (which would fail anyways because axolotls are protected internationally). All you need to do is be patient and wait for someone to have some available.

Animals for sale in the U.S.: http://www.caudata.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=65

Any info on tiger salamanders?.

There is a great deal of information on tiger salamanders. Please take the time to look in previous threads for answers to your questions and on Caudata Culture.

Caudata Culture: http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Ambystoma/A_tigrinum.shtml

Tiger Salamanders: http://www.caudata.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44

I know I'm not a "brit", but I hope that helps you find what you're looking for.

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows how to get a indangered species permit and or import, export permit.

Hello Pimp.. Master.. Smak.. (what a name! I'm curious as to its origins. You know that axolotls are gentle creatures, right? huhu)

Actually, endangered species are, by definition, essentially forbidden for trade of any sort, anywhere. The axolotls that you or we can get come from breeders - for lack of a better term, hobbyists who raise babies.

Sometimes you can find axolotls at a pet store but this is apparently iffy because many pet shops keep them without knowing much about them at all - can you imagine such a thing!? - and so you might inherit a pet with problems. It is always a good idea to get a pet from breeders, but breeders will want to know that their "babies" are going to good homes and will probably have a lot of questions about your existing setup before selling/shipping you a live animal.

Me, I'm totally infatuated with my axolotls and I can certainly appreciate your interest. Do keep me (us?) updated on your progress!

-Eva

ge0h0und

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone, but the only thing I haven't tried was talking to the lab workers. I was wondering if anyone knows how to get a indangered species permit and or import, export permit. Cause it looks like my only option is to import or get lucky. If anyone hears anything about some here in the states let me know.
peace.

Just be patient. ;o Check nilesbio to see if they'll ship to ya, or if you don't mind waiting a bit I'll put some of mine up for "adoption" once they get old enough to survive longer than a day without food.

ali000

Reaction score
You do realise this is an international site, sorry but I got the impression from the nature of your post that you think we are all Brits here, There are plenty of people on here from the States, in fact there are plenty of people on here from all round the world:cool:

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are MANY places to get an axolotl in the US. It just takes patience and hunting around a bit. (And a willingness to have them shipped, usually). See:
http://www.ambystoma.org/AGSC/alternative.htm
Until you get them, I'd recommend getting a tank set up and cycled.

blueberlin

Reaction score
Hi PMS! (Is there something else I can call you?)

You know that I have been anticipating your successful procuration of axolotls since you first wrote here. How's it going so far? Have you got your tank set up and all? It seemed like forever before I got mine readied for new life. Felt like I had to learn chemistry as well as brushing up on my biology. I did everything wrong at first, I swear - but I bet you're all ready by now, huh? The waiting must be killing you. Talk to me..?

-Eva

pimpmastersmak

Reaction score
Yeah, you can call me Drew,thats my name. But yeah i got the take and all. I have a partial morphed tiger and one that still has gills. I've had it set up forever but it had african ciclids in it awhile back. The tigers are with a plecostimus (sorry for the spelling), do you think this is bad or doesn't matter much. We'll I'm out. peace.

blueberlin

Reaction score
Hi Drew,

I unfortunately don't know anything about salamanders, but if they are still aquatic and anything like axolotls, the pleco is a bad idea. The fish has nasty spines in its fins and uses these as weapons. If the salamader tries to eat the fish, the fish will open its spines - kind of like someone opening a spiked umbrella in your mouth. The fish will have to be removed manually and there is danger that neither animal will survive. I had a pleco in my tank and saw him poke the axolotl in the foot and tail. (Pleco gone now.)

-Eva

pimpmastersmak

Reaction score
Well guys I've had my tank up for months now but no ax. I haven't been on here for awhile and I just saw that someone sold a bunch. This teacher I used to have in high school ordered me some from wardsci.com. The wild type was in but not the albino. One month later the stupid company called my teach and told here they took the item off there services. So I've mostly gave up and have a few blind cave tetras in the thought to be ax tank. I appeciate all the help I've gotten from this site and if there is anything I can do to help from here in the states let me know.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1