wes_von_papineäu

Our Roving Correspondent
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Wes von Papineäu
BBC (London, UK) 09 May 08 Special fence ensures newt safety
A specially made fence has been put up to help protect a colony of great crested newts in southern Scotland.
The wildlife project at Yair Forest near Selkirk was started due to the dangers posed to the animals by nearby tree harvesting operations.
A purpose-built "newt fence" allows the creatures to get to their breeding ponds but stops them going into areas where forestry work is taking place.
A team of volunteers checks the fence weekly to rescue any stranded newts.
The ponds, which are on the Southern Upland Way, have always been a popular breeding site for a variety of amphibians.
In 2006, during a "spring clean", the great crested newt was discovered.
It is against the law to injure, capture or disturb them in any way without a licence.
The creatures live in the surrounding woodland but return to the ponds to breed in the spring.
The one-way fence allows them access to the ponds but prevents them from getting back to areas where they may be at risk from tree felling works.
The fence itself was built from recycled panels from roadworks near the Forth Road Bridge.
Forestry Commission Scotland (FCS) staff dismantled it and rebuilt it in time to protect amphibians coming out of hibernation.
Conservation Ranger Sarah Oakley said the fence had already proved a success.
"There are only a handful of breeding sites in the Borders for these animals which are protected by European law," she said.
"So far this spring we've seen frogs and toads successfully navigating the fence on their way to the ponds, so now it's the newts' turn.
"It's important that the fence remains intact along its length to make sure newts don't stray back into the harvesting area."
Walkers have been asked to take extra care in the area and repair any damage to the fence or report it to the FCS office in Selkirk.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/south_of_scotland/7391811.stm

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back