Week One in The Big Axalotl House

R4pture

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Its week one and I have just picked up three axolotl which I have fallen in love with.
so very happy!!!.
I am currently feeding them frozen blood worms and was wondering about the following;
  • How many blood worms should I be feeding these three
  • I am using tap water conditioner by API is it safe? Is it nescesarry?
  • when will I be able to tell if I have males, females or both?
Thank you in advance for your help and answers!

lol, hate big brother but love big axolotl :lol:

o.k
unfortunately I cannot answer question 2 because I don't know it's ingredients, there is a fungal ingredient of which I cannot remember but I'm sure someone here will remind us that is very toxic to axies, so take care with any chemical ingredients, the best thing is to let your replacement water stand for 2 - 3 day (24hrs absolute minimum) to let the chlorine evaporate.

Q1 it depends on the size of your axies, and q3 when they reach sexual maturity at about a year ish (may differ) their toe nails will turn dark when they reach sexual maturity and if they are male they will have a bulge!!!! if female they wont;)

lol, hate big brother but love big axolotl :lol:
o.k
unfortunately I cannot answer question 2 because I don't know it's ingredients, there is a fungal ingredient of which I cannot remember but I'm sure someone here will remind us that is very toxic to axies, so take care with any chemical ingredients, the best thing is to let your replacement water stand for 2 - 3 day (24hrs absolute minimum) to let the chlorine evaporate.

Q1 it depends on the size of your axies, and q3 when they reach sexual maturity at about a year ish (may differ) their toe nails will turn dark when they reach sexual maturity and if they are male they will have a bulge!!!! if female they wont;)

Hi thanks for the reply!
My axies are approx 2 and a bit inches long at the moment! I always fill the bath with cold water the night before i do a water change is that good enough?
Im really interested in sorting out a supply of blackwords and maybe culturing some but havent a clue where to get them from? Im in Nottingham

Hi, yeah if you fill a bucket and leave it out side for a day or so it should be fine.

Feeding wise, I judge on how fat they are - from a top view, widest part or their belly should be same width as their head.

Dig up and cut up some worms - mine love woodlice too. I feed mine loads of stuff - bits of liver, pellets and anything I find crawling in the garden (that can't bite or sting :)

If you are using the bath to dechlorinate the water there is a very big possibility that you are contaminating their water with all sorts of chemicals that are left on the bath surface. I use a 'dedicated' pail and watering can for my water changes ( wow betide hubby when he plays with them!!!!).
They are still quite young..maybe 4 + months..the best food I've found is live earth worm, chopped to size if necessary.

Thank you very much for all of your help.
Sadly I do not have a garden as I live in the city in a bedsit :( i may try and get a bucket on the ledge or something I am currently feeding them bloodworms which they seem to love. I didnt realise they could eat earth worms lol

If you don't have a garden then be careful where you dig the worms up, don't go anywhere where they may have used a pesticide or fertilizer
The crate we use to let water stand in is inside the house, so it doesn't need to be outside, just find a small corner out of the way somewhere to stand the bucket, and as bellabelloo said, maintain it just for that so no contaminants get in :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back