pebbles and gills

ambrose

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
What if my axolotl swallowed a pebble and his gills look kinda forward should I stick him in the fridge. In what and for how long?

Yes i would definately fridge him and hopefully that will enable him to pass the pebble.
The curved gills are a definate sign of stress so he is definately not happy.
You should leave hi in thr fridge until the pebble has been passed and his gills look normal.
You need a something like an icecream container ,pop some dechlorinated water in their and cover him with some thing to stop light and temperature fluctuations, you should place a spare bottle of dechlorinated water in the fridge for daily water changes.
Whilst he is in there you should remove all the pepplesfrom his tank, bare bottom or sand is best and easier to clean.
Hope this helps some, and i hope he passes his pebble.
good luck.

How do I take him out of the fridge without shocking him? Can I just dump him back in to the tank?

Keep him in the fridge-container and let it warm up to room temp. Then mix some tank water in with the water he is in (as the tank water may be different in other ways besides temperature). Let him equilibrate for a few minutes. Then put back in the tank.

What if there is his waste inside the container? He has been in there for 4 hours and I think he has passed some stuff already do I take him out?

no you need to leave him n there until you are sure he is de-stressed, that is his gills are no longer bent forward. This can take a few days.
Change his water in the container if it is dirty, make sure you use the dechlorinated water from the fridge.

you can pick out any debris with a turkey baster or pipette (but I wouldn't recommend basting a turkey with it afterwards;))

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back