How do I mail 2 month old axies?

SarahandRich

Reaction score
Country
England
I have 30-odd juvenile golden/white leucistic axolotls, all VERY fat and healthy, with front and back legs, and looking for a new home. Someone from the other side of the country wants four of them and the only way to get them there is by mail. The Post Office will do it if I label the parcel correctly and I'll use next day service and make sure the person at the other end is in, but I'm really worried..

a) will they survive? If there is little chance, I'm not going to even try :uhoh:
b) how best to package them? In separate containers, or in together
c) how much air/water ratio
d) what about temperature en route

Has anyone any experience in mailing 3 inch axies, or even receiving any? Were they OK? :confused:

Oh, I wish I hadn't agreed to this... But, with so many, a good home for four of them is a blessing!

Axolotls are shipped all the time, but I understand your apprehension, it's a bit nerve-wracking the first time you ship live animals. You say that they are 2 months old - how large are they exactly? You need to ship them when they are small, but if they are TOO small, they are a bit fragile.

Temperature is important, of course, they should not be exposed to anything over 21C during the trip.

The simplest way to pack them is in zip-closed bags (several, each inside the other, to guard against leakage, and seal the last one shut with tape. A 50/50 ratio of air:water is usually recommended, so the axies need to be sturdy enough to tolerate some sloshing. Don't pack the bags bulging full like pillows, as the change in air pressure during flight could cause the bags to burst.

Good luck!

i am also interested in a gold juvie if you are still willing to ship to texas in america. i recieved four axies through mail and they got here okay but recently i sent one to oklahoma and he didn'y make it because they packaged was badly damaged even though i labled the crude out of the thing saying live animal, liquid and what not and when i got them they were in a little box and thats it. and i packaged mine way better, but it was the post office fault. Most of the time they get to the other place okay. Please pm me if you can and let me know the price of shiping and for him.
Thanks.

Without the proper import/export permits, as well as CITES permits, it is illegal to ship axolotls internationally.

Additionally, the time it would take to ship axolotls overseas would be too great, and the axolotls would not survive shipping.

The axolotls in my pet shop are shipped here (Perth) from Mexico so I'm assuming they probably can survive oversea's shipping.

i am also interested in a gold juvie if you are still willing to ship to texas in america.
I'm afraid I wouldn't be willing to ship abroad. I'm nervous enough about mailing within the UK, where at least I can get a 'next day delivery' guarantee.

So, would you guys recommend I put them in separate bags/containers to protect them from banging into each other, or worse, encouraging canibalistic behaviour in such stressed and food-free conditions? :confused:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back