FBN Coloration

Oscarsmom

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Melissa
I just recently got 6 newts and I noticed today that one is a different color. It's the one that prefers water more so than the others. He's acting healthy in every other way. He is more of a gray tone. Is there something to be worried about here?? I am going to try and get pics, so you can see what I'm talking about.

Thanks!

Pics:

Normal color newt

Newtpics021.jpg

Newtpics016.jpg

Gray newt

Newtpics025.jpg

Newtpics024.jpg

Re: AW: FBN Coloration

As Ralf said its not unusual. Its actualy quite an interesting point of discussion as we dont really know why it happens, and it seems it can happen to any specimen at any point in their life.

I personaly believe its something to do with them being isolated from other animals. I've observed in groups its often the one's that act differently from the group the display paling colours - be that preference of a different food type or environment, sometimes illness, isolation etc. Wether this is a direct result of 'different' behaviour or the cause I couldnt say.

I have a female Co that I got from Ed Moyer. She has blotches of the gray coloring but appears to be very healthy - she has laid numerous eggs for me (7 larvae going strong!) and eats really well. I would not be concerned over your newts color difference as long as it eats and exhibits normal behaviors.

Jealous! I hope I get a newt with such a pretty color. Can you tell me what the spotted plant in your tank is? I'm looking for plants and don't know very many. I'm gonna get so java moss, and maybe a java fern.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back