meal worm pupa

Littlelotl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a load of mealworms that me and my family feed to the various newts around the house (when they have just molted and with no head) anyway I have loads left and over half have molted to pupa I was wondering if these would be ok to feed heads on? as I cannot see any obvious mouth parts I will pick the white ones also when these turn to beetles will the beetles need heads off as well (again I am refering to the newly morphed ones due to the shells). I hate decaptiating them and theoretically the best neutriants are going to be in the head right?

Feeding out the white ones at any life stage is fine, even with their heads on. It's around ph 1 in your newts stomach so no bug should last very long. White pupae are fine but feel them in your fingers first to see how "spiky" they are. If the exoskeleton has toughened I would avoid them. The newly hatched beetles are more of an orange colour but still soft enough to use with the right sized newt.

You should avoid using mealworms as a staple as they are not nutritionally complete.

Thanks for that, I dont use as a stable Its the worms that tend to get a hammering I only use them as a treat (and then dusted) thats why they are now pupa :rolleyes:. If anything I tend to over do the waxworm (I know they are a bit fatty) though I have just bought some fruitbeetle larvae which I intend to culture so these might over take the waxworm for the larger tigers and axies as they seem to be doing well (where as I always have to by the waxworms my attempts at culturing never seem to work out)

So white isnt good enough I have to check that they are soft /non prickley and pupa/ beetles are fine with out beheading (I think I will still do this for the grubs as I dont like the look of those jaws).

Thanks again

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back