Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

can i feed my axie....

maggzmum

Reaction score
tinned tuna in spring water, mince beef,ham or anything like that? she eats usually lambs liver, blood worm or garden worms but shes gone off these. also can they eat any non meat food?

oceanblue

Reaction score
I've one axolotl which refuses worms but he eats slugs and crushed shell removed snails with relish.

Avoid mince beef it can be fatty.

I tried my axolotls on tinned spring water tuna when the ground was frozen and they spat it out. I have resorted to feeding thin strips of smoked salmon by hand on occasion, it went down well but it is not as nutritionally balanced as worms, slugs or snails. I suggest you try slugs, they are very easy to find in the UK at the moment, lift up almost any stone!

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Maggzmum,

I would avoid any cooked food as it is not a natural food source for them.

Beef heart or steak are ok but slugs earthworms or crickets might do the trick.

Good luck

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi Maggzmum,

I read that axolotls as carnivores do not have the ability to process vegetable nutrients. I've been looking everywhere for the source of that information but haven't found it, so I'm just posting it like this. Hope that doesn't make it sound too off-the-wall.

You can also purchase salmon pellets or axolotl pellets, either at a pet shop or online. These are good staples which you can then supplement with slugs, soft-shelled snails, pill bugs, etc. There is good information on this site:
http://www.axolotl.org/feeding.htm

-Eva

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!