artificial grass surface/astro turf

gr33neyes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Becky
I'm looking to create grassy areas in my axolotl tank, basically I want to landscape it better.
I use aquarium lighting but I dont keep it on long enough to sustain real aquarium grasses (light is only on at night when its cool enough). I have been racking my brains trying to think of an alternative and came up with the idea of using a fake grass matting , the kind you may see in playgrounds or around pools.
Does anyone know if this kind of thing would be safe in a tank with axolotls.

Hi Becky,

I don't really know anything but just to get the conversation started, I would wonder "aloud" if astroturf is not made of or impregnated/coated with chemicals that could be deadly or be leached into the aquarium.

Ok I googled quickly - I tried googling combinations of "atroturf" "aquarium", "preparing astroturf" or "prepare astroturf" for/in aquarium, and even "astroturf"+"danger"+"aquarium" -and it seems many people use astroturf. 100% of the pages I read were referring to terrestrians (right word?), though, and not specifically related to underwater creatures or use of astroturf underwater. I should admit here that I'm pretty lousy at internet searches, but I haven't yet found any info on any dangers or any standard process of cleaning the stuff first.

I really just wanted to contribute something to get the conversation started and so that I will be able to follow the answers as they come.

-Eva

I think I would stay away from astroturf and it's ilk. Like blueberlin alluded to it may leach polymer components into the water which may adversely effect your axolotls. Disconnected strands could pose an impaction hazard and the mat may trap debris and pollute the water.

Have you thought of java moss? It grows under low light conditions and may provide you with the mat of green you are looking for.

Sorry, I thought trapping debris is a good thing (i.e., biological filter)?

Sorry, I thought trapping debris is a good thing (i.e., biological filter)?

Trapping debris so it can be easily removed is mechanical filtration and is a good thing. Trapping debris in the substrate which probably won't be completely removed is a bad thing. The debris that is trapped will rot and may create ammonia spikes or above average nitrogen compound levels.

Don't do it. Even though many companies market this stuff for habitat substrate, it's unsuitable for many animals. The fibers have a very sharp edge that can irritate an animal with a soft belly. I have seen it cause lacerations first hand in mantellas. I'm assuming an axolotl's stomach is just as sensitive or more so that a land frogs.

ok well thanks for your input everyone, you have made me see it wouldn't be good for my axies so I wont put it in.....thanks again

I was just wandering if the moss balls that can be purchased from aquariums would be any good, dont know if they could be pulled open to make some kind of covering.

Yes, I have read that java moss is good because it tolerates the low light and temperature that axolotls prefer. I also saw a website (sorry, can't find it anymore) where the fellow tied moss with fishing line to a mesh that had suction cups for the floor, so that he made a really lush green carpet. I think he used riccia moss, which does not anchor but needs more light.

Hello greeneyes,

I don't know how large your tank is but you have to be careful when "planting" your tank because when done in excess, it could have adverse effects on the nitrifying bacteria.

It is a common misconception that plants will utilise nitrate as the primary source of energy but in actual fact, plants favour ammonium and ammonia over nitrate. This could pose a problem for the nitrifying bacteria because if they don't have an energy source to scavenge, they could starve or die off.

Just a thought.

Jay.

Thanks for your input Jay but I dont have many real plants in my tank(just some tiny floating ones and 2 moss clumps).The rest are all plastic. I don't keep the lights on for enough hours to sustain real plants.

Yes it a good idea to install artificial around you area.But before installing you need to seek for a good professional people those who are experienced in this field.If you type "artificial grass or synthetic grass" and googleit you can find many sites who are experienced in these kind of installations.especialy eco alliance group doing a great job.They have given the installation viedo as well in their site "http://www.ecowaterlessgrass.com/artificial-grass-installation-process-video.asp"

Hi Bob, I can’t see the relevance your links have to growing aquatic grass or installing artificial grass in an aquarium. This is either precision spamming or you've got the wrong end of the stick.

Or maybe I've missed the point...

Last edited:
Thank goodness for your comment Mark. There was I thinking I was just thick!
The sort of thing I was looking at you see sometimes on plant stands in garden shops.. Small mats of artificial grass, I'm sure you must know what I mean, being that you're such an avid B&Q fan and they have garden centres within their stores.
My point was that I wasn't sure if they used glues on this , as I have read that sometimes the 'grass' is just heat sealed into the matting.
I wasn't concerned with covering the whole aquarium floor, just a spot here and there and blending it in using sand so you don't see the rough edges.
I just wondered if anyone had tried it....its seems maybe not.

Try mondo grass or one of the other grasses. They tend to need a lot of light and CO2 though. They are exactly like real grass in appearence and dimensions.

There are adverse comments about mondo grass in another thread: http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54960

I wonder if Mondo needs a lot of light. The effect of a lawn needs mowing. Can you use Valisnaria and cut it with scissors? I haven't used it at temperatures usually appropriate for axolotls but it grows and spreads fast at usual tropical temperatures and is reputed to be tough and doesn't need much light.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back