Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

paddle tail newt help

SpagettiTheNewt

Reaction score
hi i have had my paddle tail newt for about 2 weeks now and he seems healthy and has been eating fine and has fattened up a bit but i noticed yesterday that his skin on his head back and tail base is lumpy and it used to be very smooth is something wrong? also, how do i keep his tank cool? we try to keep a fan on it.

SpagettiTheNewt

Reaction score
no discoloring. he might be shedding, today he seems to be rubbing against his drift wood a lot, wagging his tail, swimming more than usual and sitting out of the water which he hasn't done since we got him. I'll try and get a picture tomorrow i have to recharge my batteries.

SpagettiTheNewt

Reaction score
today my newt's bumps look like they popped and he has about 3 open sores on his back someone please help.

SpagettiTheNewt

Reaction score
Urgent! i need medical advise for my newt

i noticed a couple days ago my paddle tail newt was looking lumpy and then he started acting weird like trying to stay at the waterline and since i've had him he's always stayed mostly at the bottom of the tank. i fed him yesterday and he didn't have interest in the food. and today his lumps popped and he has three gray sores on him. someone please help asap! i'm going to post some pictures soon.

i know i posted this in another post but i really need someone to help me.

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Re: Urgent! i need medical advise for my newt

It would be hard to give any medical advice if we do not have any real diagnosis so pictures would be necessary (at least these could give a clue). With the wrong medication you could even make it worse.
And you should give some more information - water parameters, food, temperature; any changes in the last time in his tank? New decoration, new food source and so on?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Re: Urgent! i need medical advise for my newt

I merged these threads. Please avoid posting multiple threads on the same topic.

audrey

Reaction score
I can't tell from your description what is wrong with your newt but there are a few things you can do regardless. First of all, take it out of the tank and put it by itself in a quarantteen tub. That way if something in your tank is bothering it, it can get away from that stress. The quarantteen tub only needs to be something the size of a shoe box (plastic), with a lid(air holes poked in it) and a place for it to hide and dechlorinated cool water. Then keep it in a cool dark place while you find out how to treat it. Do a partial water change everyday and try to feed it but if it won't eat, then just leave it along, they can go for a few days without food and continually trying will stress it more.

SpagettiTheNewt

Reaction score
i put him in a shallow quarantine tank earlier today in dechlorinated water and the water temperature is 60F
spaghetti's tank: water parameters> we haven't gotten a ph test kit yet and we changed the water and scooped out debris and cleaned the filter for the first time since we got him about 2 weeks ago.
food> frozen bloodworms, he usually does a happy dance when we feed him but for the last couple days he's been showing little interest.
temperature> the water has been around 65-70 F the last week, we've been keeping the fan on the aquarium while we're at work but we need suggestions on how to keep it stay cooler. would adding ice cubes into the filter work?
changes in his tank> we bought him a piece of drift wood which we boiled before adding to the tank. there is also a snail who has been there as long as our newt has but just incase he's causing problems we've already found a new home for him.

Here are some photo's showing what the problem looks like. i think it might be a skin shedding problem because his front feet has skin hanging off of them.

100_0331.jpg
100_0332.jpg
100_0335.jpg
100_0344.jpg
100_0345.jpg
100_0346.jpg
100_0340.jpg
100_0342.jpg

audrey

Reaction score
Those gouges on your newt do not look like an illness that I have seen before, they look more like wounds, and not really bites - but just in case, is it all by itself? Take your wood piece out and run your fingers over it. Is it sharp at all? Paddletails like to hide in tight places and it may be scraping itself on the wood. Paddletails are pretty tough but you will need to keep it quarantteened until those heal so that they do not get infected. Doing regular water changes will help prevent that.
Look it over well daily to make sure it does not develop fungus or bloat.

SpagettiTheNewt

Reaction score
well he's all by himself and the wood is soft and smooth. he got large smooth looking bumps on him and then today they burst. there's no other newts in the tank with him.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1