Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axie Breeders In Melbourne

crasymonkey

Reaction score
Good afternoon guys,

My name is Mel, I'm new around here and i just intorduced myself in the 'Welcome' section.

I'm seriously thinking about getting 2 Axies for myself for my birthday. I've had a search of the forum and couldnt find anything really up to date, so i thought i'd put the question out there!

Where do you Melbournites get your Axies?

I do not purchase live animals from Pet Shops, so any information on breeders would be greatly appreciated.

I'm off to do some more reading!

Cheers! Mel.

Saspotato

Reaction score
I am curious, how come you do not buy pets from aquariums? There are stacks of axolotls for sale at different places. If it is an ethical reason, I know some places that treat their stock well so let me know if you want their details.

Anyway, there is this forum where you might want to post some information too:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51
That is usually the place were breeders would look :)

crasymonkey

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of purchasing animals packed into small cages, aquariums, glass display cases. It just unerves me. i dont like being squished into a small place with lots and lots of people, and i think its cruel for animals to be packed in tightly as well.

Another reason is i like knowing where my animals have come from. Even better i like to rescue my pets.

I might have said it wrong in my first post. I dont buy anything from pet shops, especially not chain shops. This is an ethical issue i have relating to the breeding of the animals ans display of the animals for sale.

I've never had any experiance from comerical or family owned Aquariums, so they may be run differently. So any help anyone can give me would be great.

I'm just used to dealing with registered breeders and rescue organisations.

But i would still be looking to do the ethical and humane thing with getting my Axies...

Hope this clears it up a bit more. Cheers! Mel

Saspotato

Reaction score
Yea no worries. I would never buy from chain shops either. I have been in a few Pets Paradise shops and their axolotls seem to be kept in very poor conditions. Anyway, I will PM you with details of some aquariums I have been in that seem really good.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1