Sticky Problem

Lyndsay

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I was wondering what types of stuff worked for Tiger Salamander cages. I've had mine for about three years now, and the dirt from my back yard was working fine, but I wanted to get them something more comfortable that doesn't dry out so fast nor turn to mud. So I went to the grocery store and picked up some planting moss, and it just ended up sticking to them really bad, as did store-bought dirt. I was wondering if there was any alternatives or advise someone could give me on what types or what maintenance would work best to keep their dirt from sticking to them.

Thanks,

Lyndsay

I use coco fiber substrate that I purchase in bricks from the chain pet stores. They need to be reconstituted but coco fiber works really well. It retains moisture, does not turn to mud, and contains no "ingredients" that could harm your salamander or make it sick if its accidentally ingested. I would avoid store bought mosses as they can be acidic and make your animals ill, and also avoid soil with any additives like vermiculite or perlite (sp?) The coco fiber does still adhere to my tiger sal but I think that is unavoidable when you provide the proper substrate they need to be able to burrow in.

Alright, thank you. I replaced the moss and store-bought dirt with backyard dirt/sand that was out where we used to have a tortoise enclosure the other day, and I think that will do for now, until I can check out the coco fiber. I appreciate the help! Haha, it just looks like it's a bit uncomfortable to have things stuck to your body. I thought it was something I was doing wrong that I could fix.

Thanks again!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back