Bloodworm for larvae

ali000

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

My larvae are now between 1.5 and 2 cm, I have a shop near me that has some tiny bloodworm, between 0.5 and 1 cm, are these still too big for my larvae?

Re: bloodworm for larvae

I gave mine bloodworm (that's mosquito larvae, right?) when they were about the same size as my axolotl larvae. The axolotls ate them but it took them a long time to get the whole thing down. Apparently they aren't very good at spitting food out. Does the shop have daphnia (water fleas)? Mine go absolutely nuts for them and eat a LOT of them.

the tubs they are in is full of daphnia, I just wanted to give them some variety... thought it may get those legs sprouting :lol:

hahaha okaaaaaay. But I bet they have legs already, you'll see. Mine are now what, 3 cm long or something? So I give them some skeeters, too - they are completely capable of eating them. It's only a question of waiting another two weeks, right?

well having read other older threads about them gorging themselves on bloodworm I decided to try just a few, so in my tub of larger larvae there are 4 larvae and last night night I put in 4 very small bloodworm, when I checked before bed the larvae where running (swimming) away in fright whenever they saw a bloodworm. This morning all the blood worm are gone, so at least 1 larvae plucked up the courage to try:D, they also still have lots of Daphnia to keep them going. I will give them some more bloodworm tomorrow. But again, not too much so they don't get bloated:D

:D I swear, if the made 2 mm pizzas, the axolotls would eat them, too!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back