Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Black, white or red

ali000

Reaction score
My local shop has just got some new sand in and I can't decide which colour I would like to get.

My babies are quite a way off going into the tank yet and at the moment I still can't tell what colour they will be, but I'm hoping to eventually keep 1 leucistic and 1 wild type/melanoid. my tank has a multi-layered structure of caves made from grey welsh slate and a heavily planted area (plastic plants)

so ideas anyone? what colour would you chose?

Kal El

Reaction score
Hello ali000,

I have never heard of red sand being used for tank set-ups. However, I have heard of black sand and I can only relate it to the ones that are found in placer deposits. This form of black sand contains heavy metals which should be avoided because they are toxic to axolotls (even humans).

Personally, I think you are better off sticking with what you know and that's plain old white play sand.

Jay.

ali000

Reaction score
Looking at the range of colours I think they are artificially coloured and are sold as aquarium sand (not marine)

Kal El

Reaction score
Looking at the range of colours I think they are artificially coloured and are sold as aquarium sand (not marine)

I see. But what sorts of chemicals are used to bring about this artificial colouring? And can these chemicals leach into the water thus causing problems for your axolotl?

Jay.

ali000

Reaction score
probably the same stuff that they artifically colour gravel, I know gravel size is harmful to axies but I've not heard of their colouring affecting them. We also have several fish aquariums with gravel (black, yellow and blue) and if washed properly have never had any issues with colour leeching.

as it is sold as aquarium sand I presumed it would be safe from chemicals

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Ali000,

I would tend to go for the plain sand as after all the axies are the main attraction of the tank and you dont want the poor little darlings 'competing' with their surrounds for the attention - they are quite colourful themselves. ;)

Just my two pennith worth!

I'll rolling my sleeves up and putting sand in my tank this weekend - it is replacing white quartz rocks as the substrate. I sometimes feel my little ones are discomforted by the white as they can't 'blend' or 'hide' with it as they could with a more 'earthy' colour...might be just me though.

Cheers Jacq.

ali000

Reaction score
Thanks Jacq, I agree with the blending thing, I was thinking of black for the same reason not to 'in your face' but I'm put off by the fact that I have no lighting, so with black sand I might not be able to see them at all :(

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Jacq, I agree with the blending thing, I was thinking of black for the same reason not to 'in your face' but I'm put off by the fact that I have no lighting, so with black sand I might not be able to see them at all :(

Perhaps the black sand with the grey slate you mentioned might also be a bit...well...dark.

Maybe the RED sand after all :D

I've just completed the chore I'd originally set myself for the weekend - After four hours of rinsing, moving water, watching the puppy as he wanted to 'help', (thankfully our mature dog knows that being helpful involves staying still in one place), watching the CAT who was watching the axies...I now have plain sand in my tank and it looks lovely...although I never want to see a 20 kilogram bag of sand again for so long as I live. ;)

ali000

Reaction score
you can never have too many tanks;)

we have , but I'm only allowed 1 axie tank:mad: they other two are reserved for hubby's (boring) fish:rolleyes:

madeve

Reaction score
:lol:

trust me, it comes with it's down sides too;)

I can relate to that my 17 months old is in love with my axies (even though he calls them "ishies" -I know he is missing an f but he tries) and loves to watch them eat. It is always hard when he wants to help and throws the pellets at the poor things instead of just droping them LOL

ali000

Reaction score
well, I changed the sand at the weekend and my little one chose RED sand so it looks a little surreal:D But I really like it, I'll try and get a piccy up tonight:D

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
well, I changed the sand at the weekend and my little one chose RED sand so it looks a little surreal:D But I really like it, I'll try and get a piccy up tonight:D

Did your little one read the fine print on this contract?! :eek:

I have a 5 year old to wash sand for me:D

Well, as your little one has to wash it - your little one has seniorority on this issue! :p

Yes, pictures! Pictures!

Yes Eva, I agree, never mind 'a piccy'! We want pictures! pictures!

Cheers Jacq.

tyaxloltl

Reaction score
I started out with playsand, which by the way took 8 hours to wash/rinse out 20 lbs of sand, after reading about the dangers of to much sand, (sand that is more than 1 inch thick can get lethal toxic pockets built up), I removed half of the sand to a safer 1 inch layer. Then I was still dealing with the sand being all over and the water filter sounding like it was grinding sand, after dealing with this nasty messy stuff, so when I upgraded the axies tank to a 40 gallon breeder tank, I left the sand behind and cut slate tiles to fit adhering it to the bottom with 100% Silicone Sealant (making sure it says food safe). I now have a 40 gallon breeder tank with a linguistic and a wild type female axies and a 20 gallon long tank with a male linguistic (I separated the sexes to prevent prematurely breeding). Both of my tanks I have sealed slate to the bottom, it looks great, keeps the axies from sliding around on like it would on no substrate and it's safe unlike gravel or rocks, which can be swollowed accidentally, and it won't clog the filters.

Holly12

Reaction score
I started out with playsand, which by the way took 8 hours to wash/rinse out 20 lbs of sand, after reading about the dangers of to much sand, (sand that is more than 1 inch thick can get lethal toxic pockets built up), I removed half of the sand to a safer 1 inch layer. Then I was still dealing with the sand being all over and the water filter sounding like it was grinding sand, after dealing with this nasty messy stuff, so when I upgraded the axies tank to a 40 gallon breeder tank, I left the sand behind and cut slate tiles to fit adhering it to the bottom with 100% Silicone Sealant (making sure it says food safe). I now have a 40 gallon breeder tank with a linguistic and a wild type female axies and a 20 gallon long tank with a male linguistic (I separated the sexes to prevent prematurely breeding). Both of my tanks I have sealed slate to the bottom, it looks great, keeps the axies from sliding around on like it would on no substrate and it's safe unlike gravel or rocks, which can be swollowed accidentally, and it won't clog the filters.

As long as you poke around in the substrate every few weeks, it should stop the toxic gas build up. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!