Excited to be getting a axolotl

Terri9967

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone

Im so excited!! Ever since I went to New Zealand a few years ago I have wanted to get a axolotl in the worst way. I finally found someone in the states that sells them. I went and got my tank today but wondering if I should get a larger one. The one I bought is 20 long by 10 wide. I have ordered 2 axolotls that were just hatched in Jan. So you think this tank will be large enough for them to grow full size??

Can't wait till they get here. Any suggestions of food for them being only 5 months old??
Will post pics as soon as I can.

thank you

Terri

Hi Terri and welcome to the forum!

Your second question first - axolotls eat lots of things (sometimes including rocks and each other) and a variety is best for optimal health. A good staple are salmon pellets, also sold as axolotl pellets. If you can't find these at a nearby pet shop, they are easy to order online. For variety, you can use frozen foods (bloodworms, etc.) found at pet shops, or fresh bloodworms, daphnia, artemia, as well as earthworms (considered the most nutritious food), slugs, soft-shelled snails, doodle bugs (pill bugs, roly-poly bugs), and guppies. Some people also give them tiny pieces of beef heart or liver. When they are so young, it is important to remember that it may be the first time your babies are trying something, so they might need some time to figure it the new food. I made the mistake of giving mine fat, juicy earthworms for the first time - the male had such trouble swallowing them that he ignored the worms completely until I got the great idea of buying small worms. Now he loves them, too. If your babies have only ever had live food, you might have to teach them to eat frozen/dried stuff by wiggling the food with your fingers or some tweezers until they learn to associate the smell with food. In any case, size definitely matters - if it is small enough to fit into their mouths, they will probably try to eat it; if it is too big for their mouths, they might still try to eat it and then it will take them some time and work to get the whole thing down (like that picture of the snake eating a kangaroo).

As to the size of your aquarium, I'll have to wait for more experienced people to answer definitively. I know that in labs, the axolotls are kept in containers that don't give them room to move about, so they will technically tolerate it, but I also know that many like to "run" around their tank, so that people put their plants along the center and the axolotls have a "race track" around the outside, so that they do seem to appreciate as much room as possible. Furthermore, the young ones haven't quite perfected feeding yet, so that they sometimes accidentally bite their tank mates, damaging gills, feet, toes, or tail. It would therefore be best to ensure that they have enough room to give each other space.

Anyway I hope some of this was helpful and am sure others will offer their wisdom soon. Until then, again, welcome to the club!

-Eva

Well I decided to take back the tank I bought and get a larger one. I ended up getting a 3 foot long tank. I just felt more comfortable with a larger tank for my babies to grow in. I got play sand and a few plastic plants along with a fancy log tunnel, will have to get one more as after reading alot on this board realized that I will need a tunnel for both babies. I also bought water conditioner and a filter. I am wondering if I also need a air pump? I am lucky to be living accross the street from a bait store:supercool: Do I need to have a cover for my tank?? I was not able to find a cover to fit the 3 foot tank.

One other thing.......when I was in New Zealand the people that had the axolotl I fell inlove with also took him out of the water for short periods of time. Is this possible??? I read on here that they are water only. Theirs did not show any signs of stress being out of the water for short periods of time.

Just got a email that my babies will be shipped overnight Monday and will arrive here on Tuesday. I am soooo excited!!!

Thank you
Terri

With every caudate you'll need a tight fitting top, but make sure there's good air circulation. I don't think you'll need an air pump if you have a filter.

I am wondering if I also need a air pump?

You can acquire one if you like but seeing as your already have a filter, an air pump isn't a necessity.

Do I need to have a cover for my tank??

A cover would come in handy, especially if the water level within your tank is particularly high. There have been cases that resulted in the death of an axolotl because it jumped out of the tank.

One other thing.......when I was in New Zealand the people that had the axolotl I fell inlove with also took him out of the water for short periods of time. Is this possible???

Please do not imitate their actions. An axolotl should never be brought out of the water without a worthy cause (i.e. tranferring to a contanier for a salt bath treatment). In fact, an axolotl should be handled as little as possible.

Goodluck with your newly acquired axolotls.

Jay.

I ended up buying a too small a tank and had to take it back, as they get stressed in small tanks. I have a tank which is 31 inches long and 18 inches wide, which gives 2 axolotls enough room to move around. I was told 2 ft in length is sufficient for 2 axolotls. Be careful of feeding them live small fish, as I made the mistake of putting too many in the tank and they can nibble at your axolotls. Another thing I learned is try and get 2 axolotls about the same size and roughly the same age, as a small axolotl or juvinile put in with a bigger axolotle of more mature age, can cause the bigger one to pick on the small one. Some people keep axolotls in too smalll a tank which restricts their growth, so wise move buying the bigger tank. I have a couple of rocks, and live plants in mine. They also each have their own seperate plastic logs they can go in if they want too take cover from too bright a light. I only leave the light on during the day for no more than 7 or 8 hours at a time. My tank has a long bar light which seemed too bright for my axolotls, so we used blue electrical tape across the light too dull it. This seems to work as well. Good luck with the new axolotls.:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back