Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Water problems/ messy axolotls

Kiowa

Reaction score
Hello

I am having trouble keeping the water clean and I do a fornightly 20% water change and my axolotls speed around alot and all the feces comes out of the pebbles and causes the water to be cloudy.There is plenty of oxygen and filtration on low power and temp is fine.
I have checked the pH levels (7.5pH) and I need a Ammonia test kit and nitrite test kit but the shops down here don't have any so I have ordered some from another shop because Ammonia and Nitrite is so important to avoid toxic levels.

Is the constant blurred and cloudy water is caused by over feeding or would it be nitriate or ammonia. It is also very cold here. Is there any way to keep the water clear (you can still see the plants and axolotls).

Thank you

Kal El

Reaction score
Is the constant blurred and cloudy water is caused by over feeding or would it be nitriate or ammonia. It is also very cold here. Is there any way to keep the water clear (you can still see the plants and axolotls).

Hello Kiowa,

The cloudy water could be because of a bacterial bloom, however it will be hard to provide a definite answer because you are yet to perform ammonia/nitrite/nitrate tests. The water should clear up on its own- just continue doing partial water changes.

Jay.

Last edited:

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hm. I an only speak from my own (lack of) experience. Believe it or not, I didn't realize you have to clean a filter. :eek: What a nasty surprise that was once I opened it! Then it took me a bit to figure out I have to clean the tubes, too. Beyond that, I had earth (!) under the gravel. I come from the swamp so I didn't find it dangerous but it certainly wasn't aesthetic! Once I got the filter cleaned out well, the water cleared up quickly. Just writing all this so I can ask with impunity: are the filter and tubes clean? Is the filter working properly, everything fit right and the intake drawing inward, etc.?

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is the constant blurred and cloudy water is caused by over feeding or would it be nitriate or ammonia.

Hi Kiowa,

As well as faeces, excess food contributes to Ammonia and Nitrite spikes in the water. It could be one, it could be the other, it could be all combined.

Another theory:

Are you feeding them pellets?

Pellets are a great food source but notorious for crumbling away and clouding up the water. This 'left over' food also causes ammonia levels to increase. ('Left over's for our axies can mean un-noticed food, regurgitated food, uneaten food, neglected food - they are messy little buggers with no table manners! ;)).

You mentioned you do fortnightly partial water changes? I would change this routine to weekly. When doing the water changes, do you use an aquarium syphon? These things are great to clean the substrate as they suck up the waste like a vacuum.

It is also very cold here. Is there any way to keep the water clear (you can still see the plants and axolotls).

Cold is no problem to an axie, they love the cold!

The only way to keep the water clear is to keep up the water changes - it will improve. :happy: Do not use any chemical water clarifiers!

aird3

Reaction score
Hi Kiowa. Most aquariums I deal with keep the test kits. Not sure where you are located in Australia. I am a newbie here as well, so am still learning about axolotls. I vacumed my tank out 6 days ago and noticed one of my axolotls moving around a lot during the day, I thought something was wrong, so I did a test on the amonia level and nitrate level and found the amonia level was 1.5 when it should read 0. I found a lot of bacteria builds up in the gravel very quickly cosidering I had only vacumned and cleaned the tank 6 days ago. I was surprised at the amount of stuff coming out of the gravel. I feed my axie's blood worm, small fish I put in the tank, garden worms, and liver heart, but I try not to let any food fall into the tank if they don't eat it, I quickly scoop it out, as off food laying around the tank is no good for an axolotl if eaten.:D Good luck with your axolotls.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1