Excited newbie w/few questions

Terri9967

Reaction score
Country
United States
I posted in the introduction section so I will copy and paste it here.

Im so excited!! Ever since I went to New Zealand a few years ago I have wanted to get a axolotl in the worst way. I finally found someone in the states that sells them. I went and got my tank today but wondering if I should get a larger one. The one I bought is 20 long by 10 wide. I have ordered 2 axolotls that were just hatched in Jan. So you think this tank will be large enough for them to grow full size??

Can't wait till they get here. Any suggestions of food for them being only 5 months old??

Well I decided to take back the tank I bought and get a larger one. I ended up getting a 3 foot long tank. I just felt more comfortable with a larger tank for my babies to grow in. I got play sand and a few plastic plants along with a fancy log tunnel, will have to get one more as after reading alot on this board realized that I will need a tunnel for both babies. I also bought water conditioner and a filter. I am wondering if I also need a air pump? I am lucky to be living accross the street from a bait store:supercool: Do I need to have a cover for my tank?? I was not able to find a cover to fit the 3 foot tank.

One other thing.......when I was in New Zealand the people that had the axolotl I fell inlove with also took him out of the water for short periods of time. Is this possible??? I read on here that they are water only. Theirs did not show any signs of stress being out of the water for short periods of time.

Just got a email that my babies will be shipped overnight Monday and will arrive here on Tuesday. I am soooo excited!!!

I will be getting my babies home ready for them this weekend.

I feel like a newly expecting mommy...:D

Thank you
Terri

Good luck, it is exciting and totally addictive.

Tank cover isn't essential (unless you have cats) but keep the water an inch or 2 below the top to stop them jumping out (although this is very rare). I have not heard of anyone taking an axie out of the water for any length of time, I can't imagine it does their skin any good at all, not to sure why you would want to!, as you haven't set their tank up yet and they are arriving on Tuesday it won't have had time to cycle so you will need to do regular water changes (daily 20%) to keep the ammonia in check, it can take weeks for a tank to cycle but with axies already in there it will cycle a little quicker, it is advisable to get a testing kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate so you can keep a regular eye on it, also remember to use conditioned water or water that has stood for at least 24hours in you water changes.

A 3ft tank is a good size for 2 axies, any smaller and your babies would soon grow out of it;)

Do you know what colours you are getting?

Have fun:D

Yes, I am getting a white and a gold!!!

Thank you for letting me know about the cycle stuff. Do I take my babies out of the tank when I do the 20% water change each day?

Hi Terri!

No, you can just siphon the water out and add fresh.

-Eva

as Eva said:D

Do you think you'll try and breed them? (if they turn out to be opposite sexes obviously)

that can be very addictive as Eva can also confirm.... endless hours waiting for legs to grow:eek:

Oh girlfriend(s), do NOT even go there. I bought a girl and a boy because I didn't want them to be lonely. That was such a mistake.

I read here (under Biology, http://www.axolotl.org/biology.htm) that "Male axolotls go through a cycle where, although sexually mature, they may not have sperm available for mating. In the wild this seems to be determined to some extent by the seasons. However, in captivity it's less regular and may occur at any time of the year. It usually takes the male about 2-3 months to produce sperm and perhaps a further 2 months for the sperm to move into the vas deferens so that it is available for mating. This could mean that the overlap between having and not having sperm available could be a few weeks to a few months."

Imagine my surprise when one week after the first hundreds of eggs hatched, the parents laid hundreds more eggs. :confused: I thought, no good, and bought a second aquarium. I couldn't cycle it fast enough, though, and spent yesterday washing plants free of the next batch of eggs. :eek: Hundreds of dollars and grey hairs later, the male and female are now separated (and yes, Alison is so right, the larvae have legs and toes and funny little faces and are soooo cute and I am totally infatuated!!)

Oh Terri they are such charming creatures! You won't believe how much so until you actually have some in your home. Congratulations!

-Eva

Eva..... Yes, I am so looking forward to their arrival. I have been waiting about 4 years to find some here in the states. I only hope they get here ok. They person I am getting them from said that he cant guarentee that they will be alive when they get here due to hot weather where he is, and said he is gonna ship them over night and put a ice pack in with them so they do not overheat.

Any suggestions on how I should introduce them to their new home after being shipped with a ice pack??

If I have a female and male I will breed them but will do it very controlled as I dont want hundreds of them. My local pet store has been trying for 5 years to find them here as well to offer them in the store but was not able to find any here until now. So I will consider breeding to sell to the pet store here. But if I dont get one of each sex I am not gonna set out get a 3rd one to breed. I will just be happy with the two I get and dont really care if I can breed or not.

Terri

Any suggestions on how I should introduce them to their new home after being shipped with a ice pack??

Hello Terri9967,

You will have to remove the ice pack and then float the bag (with axies) in the tank and wait until the temperature equals that of the tank. Thus, it would be ideal to place a thermometer into the bag after you have measured the temperature in the tank.

When it comes to introducing your axolotls, do not pour the bag and its contents into the tank. You will have to use a net to fish out your axolotls and then let them into the tank. The bag containing the water can then be discarded.

Jay.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back