Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is there a warm water newt species

Blackstar65

Reaction score
Is their a newt species that can be kept in water temps between 70-75 degrees.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Is their a warm water newt species

Cynops ensicauda is one of the few species that will tolerate warmer waters.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Would that be the year-round temp, or just in summer?

Blackstar65

Reaction score

With lighting the average water temp for the aquariums in my house is between 70F and 74F. With out lighting the average temp is between 60F and 65F. When I tried a newt tank on a 20g Long lit by a small desk lamp my average temps were between 68 and 72. Most likly year around. A chiller is out of the question they cost too much.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Many of the Cynops could be happy with that. As Mark mentioned, C. ensicauda is particularly tolerant of warmth. I think C. pyrrhogaster and C. cyanurus would be OK too. Pleurodeles waltl might also be fine.

I'm surprised the light makes that much difference. I would encourage you to either not use the light, or to switch to a fluorescent light. Instead of a desk lamp, maybe you could mount a cheap flourescent light on a shelf above the tank. Or just do without most of the time. The light is usually only needed if you want live plants in the tank.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score

I think they already answered that question? Here's a slightly longer list: Cynops ensicauda, Cynops pyrrhogaster,Tylototriton verrucosus, Pleurodeles waltl and Pleurodeles poireti. I can't think of any others off the top of my head.

Not Cynops orientalias, probably not Cynops cyanurus.

kingearwig

Reaction score

Well thanks for the speedy reply. I am not sure what I want to to with this setup... should I open a new thread... what would you do with this setup. I think I will.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score

With some plants you could put any of the ones I mentioned in there.

fishkeeper

Reaction score

What about Paramesitotriton hongkongensis?

onetwentysix

Reaction score

Dwarf sirens, while not newts, do really well in higher temperatures. I'd imagine they'd be fine up until around 85F; I know of an instance where someone accidentally let his juveniles get into the low 90s due to leaving a light on for photographing for several hours, and they were just starting to display signs of stress. Dwarf sirens come from some pretty warm water in Florida, so low 80s would be perfectly fine for them, though I wouldn't recommend anything above 84 or so.

Though dwarf sirens wouldn't work in your setup, kingearwig; they wouldn't use the land area and would be at risk for being sucked into the pump.

A

achiinto

Dont know if I am joining too late for this thread. As per Bill's question, I think a 78 - 80 is too high for Cynops species. And looking at your setup, you seem to be using an external filter which does not allow an escape proof setup. I will rather advice you to change your filter and consider placing the tank to some place cooler.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Dont know if I am joining too late for this thread. As per Bill's question, I think a 78 - 80 is too high for Cynops species. And looking at your setup, you seem to be using an external filter which does not allow an escape proof setup. I will rather advice you to change your filter and consider placing the tank to some place cooler.
The only commonly available Cynops that won't thrive at that temperature is Cynops orientalis.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1