Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Another newbie here!

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Hello, I have just posted in the 'introductions' board but this is the board that really suits me! I have been reading the other posts on here and some of the questions I had about keeping axolotls have already been answered, thank you! I am hoping to be the proud owner of two axolotls this time tomorrow, but I have lots of queries before I bring them home.

I am confused by all the information I have read on various other websites. I have a filter that has already been used for fish for a few months, so I'm assuming the essential bacteria will be present in it. I have removed the gravel from my tank, but one website said to use sand, one gravel and one pebbles. If I wanted to use sand, childrens play sand, or 'bought from a pet store' sand? Also some say use natural oxygenating plants, some artificial plants, some no plants. I also have a large piece of bogwood which I had in the tank with my fish, would this be safe to use in the axolotl tank? I've also got a 'rock' ornament with plastic plants attached, safe or not safe? Also natural, but dried 'fern-like' coloured plants, safe or not safe? Water depth - some say only the depth of the length of your axolotl, so for babies I assume this would only be a couple of inches.

I'm so sorry about the long list of questions! I just want everything to be right!

I'm so confused! Please can you help? Within 24 hours if possible so that I can pick up the axolotls tomorrow and get them settled in their new home, knowing that I am creating the right environment for them. Thank you, Kerry

Kal El

Reaction score
Hello Kerry1968,

I'm going to answer as many questions as possible but you're going to have to excuse me if I miss out on a few. After all, it is almost 2am here in Australia :p

- You can use the same filter but as to whether the nitrifying bacteria will still be present/alive in the filter media (i.e. sponge) depends on how long ago the filter was established. You may have to "cycle" your tank again.

- Go with play sand because it has the distinct advantage of being sterilised for childrens saftey, and thus the safety of your axolotls. That is, play sand will be free of pathogens and microorganisms. However, you will still have to wash the sand thoroughly before placing it into your tank.

- Having plants is really a personal choice. Most people who do keep plants with axolotls use java moss/fern because these plants do not require much light and hence meet the requirements for an axolotl which is predominately nocturnal and don't particularly favour light.

- As long as this rock ornament does not have any sharp edges that could lacerate the axolotl's skin (which is very delicate), it should be fine.

- It always better to have the water level as high as you can get it because this equates to stable water parameters (eg. ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/pH)

Best of luck with getting your axolotls tomorrow :happy:

Jay.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1