Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Are newly morphed red spotted newts green/brown?

PoetryInPurple

Reaction score
Is there a green/brown stage before the tiny red-spotted newts turn bright orange? Mine are colored as such, and they're definitely not aquatic. They don't have the tails of aquatic newts, and I tried putting them in the water, and they had no idea what to do with it. They're so little. It's hard to figure out what stage they're in. Right now, I'm just feeding them flightless fruit flies, as that's all they can fit in their mouths.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Some efts are not bright orange, but more of a dull orange. Exactly how long are they, nose to tail? If they want nothing to do with water, then they are probably in some sort of terrestrial stage, whether eft or adult. Any chance you could post some photos?

PoetryInPurple

Reaction score
I measured, and the bigger one is just over 2 1/2 inches. The other's just a bit smaller. Their bodies are so tiny, though. They look like all of the pictures I've seen of red efts, but they're very dark olive green ish, with yellow bellies, and they have their red spots. They don't look like adults, and their tails are that of an eft, not an aquatic newt. Here are some pictures... For some reason, the larger one looks a little bigger in the pictures than it does in my hand. Sorry they're a bit blurry:

IMG_4935.jpg

IMG_4933.jpg

IMG_4932.jpg

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In my experience, when they come from the water they'll be greenish like the adults, and they'll change over a period of days to weeks, it just depends on the individual and the circumstances.

Nathan050793

Reaction score
Where did you get them? They look to me like normal adults, so it could just have something to do with the conditions they were kept in previously. Also, aquatic adults don't always have a large, wavy tail fin. That is the breeding dress that males develop during breeding season (similar to several European species). The rest of the year their tails are fairly plain. To add to this, if you put them in the water and they were frantic, it could just be that they haven't been in the water for a while. I would try it again and give them time to get used to it, I'd bet $5.00 that they are normal, aquatic adults.

PoetryInPurple

Reaction score
Well, as it turns out, my brother and I decided to take a chance and order from Ward's. We figured it couldn't hurt to try. I suppose they could be adults, but they're just so small. As for the water, they weren't really frantic, but they just didn't seem to want to be there. I had a fairly large water area, and I changed it to a small dish of water, and they still don't even go over there. They just hide out on land, under fake hollowed log I put in there. I get a little concerned that they aren't getting the water they need, so I use a spray bottle to throughly mist the tank, several times a day. They seem to like that.

Nathan050793

Reaction score
If you ordered them from Ward's I can say with near certainty that those are aquatic adults. When I got mine from Wards, I noticed how small they were too, and thought they may have just become aquatic. I'd try the water again and just give them a chance to get rid of the dryness of their skin.

P.S.
Did you only get two? When I ordered them, the only option was a 3-pack.

PoetryInPurple

Reaction score
I did order the three-pack, but, unfortunately, one of the little guys didn't make it. So, they're sending me a replacement this week. I asked specifically for efts again, but who knows....

My newts still seem to be doing well on land... I want to put more water in the tank, but I'm afraid they'll drown.

Nathan050793

Reaction score
If it seems like they are doing well on land, then I would leave everything the way it is; just make sure they have access to water if they need it. Good luck with the replacement!:D

Nathan050793

Reaction score
Possibly, however, I wouldn't worry too much about that. 4 inches is fines, just as long as the newts can get out of the water if they need to.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1