My strange paddle-tails

Miss JR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,
I have two paddle-tail newts. After noticing a bite mark in the tail one of my newts I separated them. I did this using a divider that came with my terrarium and used some plastic to make the divider opaque as I noticed that when they saw each other they became quite distressed. A few days ago I noticed the bitten newt had somehow found it's way into the other side of the tank. I moved it back however since this incident my newt is more determined to be reunited, jumping up and moving about frantically to try to get back. Does anyone have any advice for me, do you think I should house them together again and change the layout of the tank so they can establish their territory, or should I buy another tank and house them in complete isolation.
HELP?!

Is your tank large enough for two?
If they're being aggressive keep them apart. Make sure they cant see each other, and theres no way to get from one side to the other(they can climb, if your divider has a gap at the top you might need to block it). I'd also re arrange each side so they both have re establish their own seperate territories.

Paddle tails are extremely aggresive. Most newts will try to climb glass to escape/explore/find new ground. Do not underestimate the abilities of your newts. Make sure your tank is big enough. If not, consider buying a larger tank. Make sur both Herps are happy herps as this can help. You know, check conditions are optimal. Sorry I don't know a lot, but it's the best advice I can offer.

Most people are NEVER told that Paddle Tail Newts are VERY, VERY AGGRESSIVE. If you read up on them on the Internet, you will be shocked. I read an article on a Paddle Tail Newt that bit the let off of a Tiger Salamander.

KEEP THEM APART IF YOU WANT TO KEEP THEM BOTH! That is what I had to do. If I had to do it over again, I would not have them at all.

i keep five in a tank with plenty of hides and weed with no problems whatsoever, maybe i'm just lucky but i know others who keep groups too, they are one of the most aggressive newts and if you have one that just wants to attack the other all the time you are going to end up with a very stressed possibly dead newt so it may be best to keep them apart.

I also keep 2 together with no problems except at the very beginning but once lots of hides and lots of plants were added there hasn't been a problem.

The third newt that was in there with them is still in his hospital tank but might be able to rejoin in a couple of weeks.

How large is the aquarium?
It may be necessary to use two separate aquaria rather than one divided in two, particularly if the animals are persistent in crossing it.

Chris

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back