Pied/halequin axies?

I saw that ad too, I'd love to know what they look like. Must be something really special at that price:eek:

Hi,

Your link came up with an error for me - it must not have liked me ;)

I've attached a picture of a piebald axie...god it's gorgeous. I think a true piebald is a once in a lifetime thing though. If they do have one and are willing to sell - I think they're going to have a lot of interested parties making enquiries.

I've picked up John Scott's immortal book enough times tonight, and he has this endearing passage which gives me hope "As axolotls become more popular on the pet market we are sure to see an increase in the gold axolotl (Jacq's hopes are raising)and the spotted or harlequin color pattern".

Cheers Jacq.

Attachments

• piebald2.jpg
    piebald2.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 2,701
Last edited:
Ah well, I'll just have to move to England and then rob a bank - no greater love hath a woman for her axies...:p

It's good to have a goal.

I asked for some pictures, I am wondering why there are none shown in the ad.

I my experience "Piebald" and "Harlequin" can mean anything from a leucistic with some black spots up to an Axolotl as shown in the picture above. So far I did not know that this kind of coloration is hereditable or genetically determined. The most offspring from Harlequins I know have just been leucistic; it might be interesting to see a strain where this attribute is given to the next generation. Maybe the poster of the ad could help us here.

So far I did not know that this kind of coloration is hereditable or genetically determined.

I know "of" someone who claims to have some Harlequin Axolotls (I haven't seen them nor photos) he seems to think that it is hereditary.

How much do harlequin and pied Axolotls usually sell for?

Thanks for the responses! I guess maybe it has a genetic component but i think there probably a large stocastic/chance element to the proportion of black.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back