Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How small do I cut worms

Terri9967

Reaction score
My 2 axies are due here tomorrow and they are about 2 or 3 inches long he said. And that I need to cut the night crawlers to feed them. How small do I cut the worms??

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Bite size pieces. Usually about as long as their head is wide. You'll get a feel for whether the pieces are too big after you feed them a couple of times.

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Terri,

Cut the worm into slivers just so it is small enough to fit in the axies mouth. It will be touch and go as each axie is different, don't worry if the food is too big, the axie will work on it, move it around in his jaw and will eventually spit it out.

As a guide, juvenile axies can eat 3mm pellets...worm is 'softer' than a pellet so you will have a little more leeway in the size offered.

I have three adults and one of them will only eat small slivers of food and she has an awfully big mouth - plenty of room in there! :rolleyes:

Cheers Jacq.

PS: Are they there yet?

SarahandRich

Reaction score
Mine LOVE earthworms, and if the axolotl is longer than the worm, they seem to be able to eat it! They snap it in the centre, sort of 'fold' it in half and suck it in, middle-first. There's a lot of shifting and turning involved 'till they get it in the right position, but down it goes. That's the rule of thumb for us. As long as the worm is not longer than the axolotl, it will be eaten....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1