Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Very upsetting

Terri9967

Reaction score
I just went on to that youtube.com thing and was watching some of the video there on axolotls. It was very upsetting to see how some people get these wonderful creatures and really do not take the time to learn about them. There were several of them putting 4 and 5 in on small tank, several with very small pebbles in the tank, and even one that was playing and teasing them with his fingers and trying to pick them up. There were so many videos where you can clearly see that the axolotls were extremely stressed out!! It really brought tears to my eyes to see this. This is why I have spent hours and hours everyday reading and asking questions BEFORE I even decided to get mine!!

Maybe I am just over sensitive, and shouldnt complain, but it is truely sad to see.:(

There were a few that commented and tried to tell them things werent safe, but they either snapped at the viewer or did nothing.

Kal El

Reaction score
...and even one that was playing and teasing them with his fingers and trying to pick them up.

I think I have seen this one on youtube as well. It is a shame but the more you try to educate these people, the more obstinate they become.

However, you can take peace in knowing that you are taking the correct measurements to look after your axolotl

Jay.

ali000

Reaction score
It's disgusting isn't it, the same goes for pet shops that keep them in appalling conditions, I dont think ignorance is much of a defence in these cases, if they own or are selling an animal then they should research it.

As Jay said, as long as you do your best for your axies. It nice that you have put in the time and not just jumped blindly into it.

Unfortunately many many animals endure horrendous cruelty at the hands of man:(

Kiowa

Reaction score
Hello

That sounds horrible I feel the same way for you Terri9967. I detest people who do not commit full responisbilty in the care of their axolotls:( or any other animal but I am pleased to see other Axolotl owners who are trying to provide the best care for their axolotls.:rolleyes:

See you later.

moony1988

Reaction score
hey all,

I agree with you fully Terri9967 and the rest of gang, that the treatment of these beautiful little creatures sometimes lacks intelligence.

I was disgusted that i had to teach my own flesh and blood (being my 23 y.o cousin), that axolotls had gills and therefore couldn't be left out of his (undersized) tank to walk around in a waterless bath tub. His axolotl must be the strongest amphibian i have ever seen, he lived in a tank which is way to small, never been cycled, rarely cleaned and only ever been feed bits of beef.

I had to give up lecturing him about it, as he preferred to remain ignorant on the subject.

Don't be to concerned everyone, i now look after his axi the best i can when i visit and he looks in alright shape, despite still not having enough room.

Moony

madeve

Reaction score
I remember a little while back there was a bit of a heated argument over the same subject. I believe Neurus started a thread (which seems to have been closed or something because I cannot access it anymore) where he posted a link to this girl's "educational" videos on axies where she made some quite wrong recommendations regarding axolotl breeding. She said to keep them in warm water amongs other things, I believe her words were "jacuzzi like temperature". Anyways she was recommended a few things and ignored the knowledge she was given by stating that this is what the breeder she got her axies from told her to do.
I think some people should make more of an effort when it comes to their pets but to each their own I suppose.

Lasher

Reaction score
I remember a little while back there was a bit of a heated argument over the same subject. I believe Neurus started a thread (which seems to have been closed or something because I cannot access it anymore) where he posted a link to this girl's "educational" videos on axies where she made some quite wrong recommendations regarding axolotl breeding. She said to keep them in warm water amongs other things, I believe her words were "jacuzzi like temperature". Anyways she was recommended a few things and ignored the knowledge she was given by stating that this is what the breeder she got her axies from told her to do.
I think some people should make more of an effort when it comes to their pets but to each their own I suppose.

I think the general conclusion of the thread that all we can do(and are entitled to do) is offer advice,
ff its working for them no ones likely to listen to someone telling them their wrong(particularly the way its usualy done).
Oh, and that childishly bashing people because they dont immediatley do what you tell them is pointless.

Terri9967

Reaction score
Hi Lasher

I wasnt speaking about the people that try to give advise doing the bashing. It's the owners of the axolotls that bash and swear at the people leaving comments on their video.

But I agree with you, certainly is childish.

Lasher

Reaction score
Its actualy been my experience in similar circumstances online and in person that approaching the offender in a calm personable manner and offering reasonable advice, explanations and citing evidence and reasoning has positive results.

Terri9967

Reaction score
Its actualy been my experience in similar circumstances online and in person that approaching the offender in a calm personable manner and offering reasonable advice, explanations and citing evidence and reasoning has positive results.

I agree with you Lasher, the comments I read from people giving advise was calm and actually very polite. And the axie owner went off one them. Just sad I think.

I plan to take very good care of my babies when they finally get here. My babies are NOT here yet and were due today!!! So I called the post office and gave them the confermation number and they looked it up and said "oh its still in Calif and wont be here till tomorrow!!" Oh did I flip out!!! Told them that it was GUARENTED overnight. And they said well who ever sent them can take receipt and get their shipping money back, but that there is noway they will be here till tomorrow. I told them well that doesnt do my babies any good they will be dead by tomorrow!!!! The thought of them sitting in a cargo plane roasting is bringing tears to my eyes!!! I called the guy I bought them from and he is angry and will be going to the post office tomorrow. But said that he had shipped a few awhile ago and the person actually forgot to pick the axies up from post office and they sat there over a entire weekend and where still alive when he remembered to get them. HOW CAN SOMEONE ACTUALLY FORGET TO PICK THEM UP??????? God I am so pissed!!! I know the breeder will replace them but that is not the point, theses poor little things are gonna suffer and it is really upsetting me!!! The breeder is hoping that because the weather is cool here that they will be ok.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1