Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding/floating.

ge0h0und

Reaction score
Well... I think I'm feeding my axies enough, but for some reason a few of them swim up to swallow some air. Is that a sign of still being hungry? Or are they just being silly and want to float all over the place? The one who does it the most looks pretty plump. Maybe it's just a big ol fatty who can't get enough to eat no matter how many worm bits it eats? :confused:

digger

Reaction score
Re: feeding/floating.

sometimes they float when they need to poo or have an air bubble.
If it continues too long isolate it into a container with very low water this will decrease the chance of stress.
Or else try popping some plants in the water to give them something to hang out on.

sharelkaye

Reaction score

mine was doing that too and he is pretty fat also... i was really worried for a while but he is still eating and he is starting to go down now...some times they beg for food though haha...just keep an eye on him and if he stops eating then you should isolate him and put him in a salt bath.. hope everything is alright

ge0h0und

Reaction score

Yeah everything does seem fine, but they just randomly go up to swallow air. They're still doing it right now, but are also accepting the worm bits I'm cutting up. The floating just annoys me a bit cause it makes it harder to feed. :wacko:

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score

If they are going up to breathe air, it might be that they are having trouble breathing air from the water - perhaps the nitrite level is high?

ge0h0und

Reaction score

If they are going up to breathe air, it might be that they are having trouble breathing air from the water - perhaps the nitrite level is high?

They're still in tubs, and I do water changes daily. I'll do a bigger change today though if thats the case.

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score

I'm sorry, I somehow missed the fact that they are larvae. Guess that's why the thread is under "Eggs, Larvae & Breeding", huh? :eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!