Bio wheel filters

Jen1215

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi I just ordered a penguin 350 bio wheel filter, before I found out about axolots and now I am really interested in getting one. I haven't seen anyone else on here mention a bio wheel filter.

Will this be okay to use?

Thanks.

Re: bio wheel filters

Hello Jen,

I don't know why I never saw the thread before. Must be something to do with the number of times I hit the 'refresh' button :p

Bio-wheel filters make great filters and are perfectly fine to use. In your tank, you have nitrifying bacteria (which I'm sure you're aware of already), these bacteria do all sorts of wonderful things for your tank. However, the nitrifying bacteria are sensitive to amount of dissolved oxygen in tank. Nitrifying bacteria compete poorly with other aerobic bacteria; this is when a bio-wheel comes into play. The bio-wheel is effective in the process of nitrification because it brings the nitrifying bacteria into contact with the oxygen in the atmosphere. Generally speaking, if the levels of dissolved oxygen drop below 1 mg/L, nitrification will either slow or cease altogether.

Jay.

Re: bio wheel filters

The only issue with biowheel filters is that they may cause a large amount of water movement, and may need to be baffled.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back