Can you help me understand my filter?

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just picked up a second hand filter for free and I was hoping to use it in my Axolotls tank, the one I have at the moment is a bit small for the size of the tank. Anyway, I've switched the pump on and it's working ok (it's the type that sits in your tank and has a foam filter system) the problem I have is that I can't work out a way to aerate the water from this pump as well as filter it. Does any one know anything about these type of filters? It's a Juwel filter, it's about 12" tall and inside one half has the foam in, the other half of it the pump sits at the bottom, the water is pulled in through the top of the filter box, I hope you can understand what type of filter I mean, sorry if this is all too confusing, hope someone can tell me if this is suitable for my Axies and how to create air bubbles, do I need a separate pump? Sorry to go on, thanks, Kerry.

Hi Kerry,

I googled your filter and it looks very similar to my fluval filter. I'm envious you snazzled one up FOR FREE! :eek:

Axies don't like excessive water flow. If by air bubbles you mean how to diffuse the flow from the filter out flow nozzle, you will just need to install a 'spray bar' - this will make the jet of water from the filter become a gentle flow of bubbles.

This thread gives more info on spraybars:

http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=52065

My fluval allows me to adjust the out flow nozzle direction, I simply direct it toward the tank wall so it hits the glass rather than jetting through the water and upsetting my babies.

Depending on the size of your tank, you may also put in an airstone (I'm guessing this is what you mean by an 'extra pump'?) on the opposite side to the filter to help aerate the water if the tank is large. A couple of my axies love dancing on the bubbles, my third avoids any water movement whatsoever including just bubbles and my tank is large enough for her to avoid them if she chooses.

How big is your tank? If the filter is 12 inches tall it may be too big for the tank. (if you mean 12 centimeters - I'll just go back under my log :eek:).

Cheers Jacq.

...the problem I have is that I can't work out a way to aerate the water from this pump as well as filter it.

Hello Kerry1968,

By turning on the filter and having it agitate the surface of the water, you have effectively oxygenated (aerated) the tank already :happy:

Regarding the bubbles, you can create these by assembling another air pump connected to an airstone. However, most people who do this tend to notice that their axolotl's gills become less "fluffy" (i.e. the fimbraie begin to recede). This is nothing to worry about but some people have a panick attack, so I just thought I might let you know in advance.

Jay.

The only reason you would need any additional aeration is if your tank has a solid glass lid.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back