Tiger Salamander morph

flip13

Salamandra Enthusiast
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
JD
I have been looking every where to find a tiger salamander to keep mine company for a year now so i bought a water dog. this thing is massive. Is this the same type of tiger that i have now? Will it turn yellow or stay green? How do i get it to change? it comes up for gulps of air. i have him in a 55 gal half water half land. here is a picture of happy and a pic of the waterdog

Attachments

• Picture 157.jpg
    Picture 157.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 2,717
  • Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 5,861
The gravel that you're keeping the larval tiger salamander on is way too small. They'll eat it and it becomes impacted in their intestines. It's best to keep it on a bare-bottomed tank or on fine sand. Also, they look like two different subspecies to me.

ok so i fixed that now it is in a tank with a bare bottom. my question still remains tho how do i force change or even how do i let it happen naturally?

ok well seeing as how no one here can comment with help, just critisisim (dont get me wrong i appreciate any tip) i found some research i will share for anyone that may seek it. I guess by forcing a change after sexual maturity you can reduce there life from 10 yrs to 2 or less. if it happens it happens though. ive changed my tank around so it is much more sutable for an axolot rather than a salamander to see if he will stay that way. i guess i will just have to see what happens im sure it is going to change anyway because he looks like he dose not have full gills anymore. but from what i gather if you want a salamander buy a salamander. not a waterdog. still if anyone has any information and they wouldnt mind wasting the 40 seconds it takes to post it, i would greatly appreciate it.

It will morph eventually. Just be patient.

Please avoid posting snarky comments. They're uncalled for, especially when people are looking out for the health of your animal.

Hello, I actually have had experience with this situation. I have 2 morphed tigers that I have owned since their larval state. The currently morphed tigers were put into a tank with about 25% land and the rest water (about 6 inches at the deep end), so pretty shallow but still plenty of room for them to run around. At first you should use a good filter, because tigers produce a lot of waste and the ammonia levels will quickly get out of control. Then, keep the tiger well fed. I fed mine around 3 red worms and 2 wax worms total per day (3x a day). And that alone should promote metamorphosis. I have a close friend who has 15+ tigers and he told me that from his experience (he has tried different ways of morphing tigers) that the way I described normally works (it may take a couple of months to complete), but if you take out the filter and do daily 50% water changes this causes the water quality to be reduced and can increase the morphing rate (as long as the eating requirements are still met). And finally, he said that adding a very VERY small amount of iodine (iodized salt or even an extremely small amount of iodine concentrate) can help trigger metamorphosis. I have read articles about the effects of iodine on tiger larvae and its correlation with the thyroid hormone needed for metamorphosis, and I have not found any hard information that supports my friend or refutes him; however, he swears by this method. I would NOT recommend using iodine, but would highly recommend the first method. Hope that helps!

I just recently got 2 tiger salamanders. I fed them 3 to 4 x a day giving them frozen dried worms and also frozen brine shrimp. When they grow rapidly they begin to morph. First sign is shedding of their skin. good luck

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back