Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axie with fungus and losing toes.

damien

Reaction score
Today I saw Wooper with a patch of fungus on her knee of her hind leg. It kind of startled me to see hoe far is had progressed in just a day or 2. I always check for anomalities on my axies when I feed them, so I didn't expect this.
What I did see for a while now was that Wooper has lost the upper part of most of her toes. I didn't think much of it, since my water is in good shape. (couldn't test for nitrite, because testing kit didn't have enough fluid left, buying a new one today) Looking back at it now, it wasn't the smartest move to ignore that, but it happened.

I'm going to test the water again today to see if there are any insane jumps of ammonia or something. edit: ammonia is 0, nitrate is quite high, about 25-50mg/l

Wooper just had her fist salt bath of today and tonight I'll give her a second.
What I'm wondering is: what is the best thing to do: Put her in the fridge for a few days?

Few foto's:
P5221353.jpg

P5221354.jpg

Fungus isn't seen too clear, but you can imagine how it looks, I think.

ali000

Reaction score
yes put her in the fridge, it will help her metabolism fight the infection and will stop the fungus spreading, It will also help her 'chill out' if she's a bit stressed by it :cool:

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Is this the only Axolotl that was in the tank (I do not think so as you wrote about "axies")? Could it be that she has been bitten by a comrade?
It is rather unusual for fungus to appear at the knee without an injury previously and the loss of toes (if not bitten...) does not sound too good. Is there fungus at the toes/stumps, too?
You should have a very close look at her and keep her strictly separated from the others for there is the possibility that this fungus is a secondary infection (not necessarily, but possibly).

If the fungus can be fought with the salt baths, it should be fine. In my opinion it is not necessary to put her in the fridge if it is "just" fungus, but it won't do her any harm neither.

Good luck for the Axolotl!

damien

Reaction score
She is in the tank with her mate. They are together for more then a year now. The other one looks fine.

I gave her salt baths a couple of weeks ago because she had something that looked like fungus on 1 toe.
I'm currently working on more hiding places, because at the moment it is not ideal.

I've never seen them being aggressive to eachother, but all it takes is 1 bite..

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
The knee looks more like a bite to me than fungus ( but i could be wrong!!). I'd keep a very close eye on this and if it progress' or gets fluffy treat for fungus. Keep an eye on the water temps, remember cool, is good.

sherylbobbins

Reaction score
Something similar has been happening to my axolotls. I've now got 2 axolotls who have been bitten. Leui is missing a few toes and has fungus on two feet. I've just been given her salt baths 1-2 times a day with my other axies and the fungus is slowly disappearing. Does anybody happen to know what that massive bruise on her leg is? It doesn't seem to be disappearing. I'm having terrible luck with axies at the moment. It's either luck or they're EVIL!

100_2213-2.jpg

Last edited:

gr33neyes

Reaction score
Have you got it fridged Sheryl? Its looking pretty sick to me.
Thats quite a large bruise for a creature so small. Looking a bit skinny too.
That leg may have got twisted whilst trying to escape being bitten or perhaps it was twisted while being bitten, its certainly bleeding internally.
I really hope it pulls through for you.

sherylbobbins

Reaction score
Leui's in a tank at 10 degrees celcius at the moment and is on her own. I was concerned about internal bleeding too. I went to the pet shop to see what they'd say on the matter and they just said it's a bruise and it'll go away shortly. Silly people. It's been a month and a half now and she's still going relatively strong. I'm well aware that she's looking quite skinny. It took me months to get her fattened up after I got her and as soon as the hot weather hit BAM! she got sick and lost all the weight *sighs* Still recovering.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!